Friday, January 14, 2022

Saturday 9

 Saturday 9: Bobby's Girl (1962)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Marcie Blane confesses she sits at home, hoping Bobby will call her. Do you owe anyone a phone call or email? Yes. I should answer my Cousin Rose's letter. It's on my dining room table so I won't forget.

2) We know Marcie wants to be Bobby's Girl. Let's play the Google Game and find out what you want. Go to your favorite search engine, keystroke your name and "wants," and then search. (For example: "Samantha wants" led us to a math problem that begins: "Samantha wants to purchase a new dress ... " Crazy Sam was tempted to read on because her wardrobe could use sprucing up.) What does Google tell us you want? I want "ideas (shoes, boots and purses)." It's a Pinterest fashion page. I like the hobo bags.

3) This hit record was an accident. Marcie Blaine had just graduated from high school and had a few days before she had to take off for her summer job as a camp counselor. A friend asked her to record a couple songs he'd written, just so he could play them for record labels and song publishers. Her friend was hoping somehow an established star would hear the songs, record them and make one of them a hit. Instead, a producer at Seville Records said he wanted not just the songs but especially the unknown girl who was singing them, and Marcie became a recording artist. Tell us about a favor you're very glad you did for a friend. Friday afternoon, Patrick asked me to call our friend Henry and give him a pep talk. They were online, enrolling Henry and Reg in Obamacare! I hope they finished the process. (They have until midnight tonight.) Henry and Reg need healthcare ... badly. I told Henry that I firmly believe that he deserves Obamacare discounts as a taxpayer, they are not welfare, and he should take them. I haven't heard back from Patrick yet, but I'm feeling good about this. I've been trying to persuade Henry and Reg to enroll since October.

4) By the time summer was over, and Marcie's gig as a counselor was done, she was #3 on the charts. Her record stayed in the "Hot 100" for 19 weeks and, for the second half of 1962, she was the top-selling female singer in the US. What female singer do you listen to most often? I recently stumbled upon a 1994 CD called "Hold Me, Kiss Me, Thrill Me" by Gloria Estefan. It's Gloria's cover versions of her own favorite love songs and it's been my go-to for background when I'm working.

 

5) After "Bobby's Girl" took off, she recorded it in German for the European market. Only she didn't speak German, so she sang it phonetically. Can you sing any songs in a language other than English? "Sie liebt dich, yeah, yeah, yeah ..."

6) Seville rushed Marcie into the studio to make more records. None of them charted higher than #68, and Marcie wasn't having fun. After a year of being a rock 'n roller, she enrolled at Queens College in New York City. What's the most recent class you took? I don't recall a class in a school setting, but I had to endure an online seminar about how to spot phishing emails.


7) In 1962, when this song was popular, the most popular baby names were Michael and Lisa. Are there any Michaels or Lisas in your life? Lots of Michaels. Snarkypants is my only Lisa.

8) Also in 1962, Marlene White, the first African American flight attendant for a major US airline, appeared on the cover of Jet magazine. What's the last magazine you flipped through? Was it in print or online? US Magazine in print. Don't judge me. Sometimes I just want to see Prince William and Duchess Kate looking all royal.

9) Random Question: After enjoying a long, relaxing weekend, do you find yourself more or less productive on Monday morning? It just so happens I have embarked on a three-day weekend! I plan on sleeping a lot. Let's see how I feel Tuesday morning.


 

8 comments:

  1. I love that song called Hold Me. I remember Mel Carter singing it back in the mid 60's. I still know the words after all these years! My husband and I went to the hear Gloria Esteban and Miami Sound Machine in concert in Los Angeles back in the 80's. Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 I know of a couple who will not get health insurance because of Obamacare because it is Obama's because it is socialized medicine, but when I asked them if they will get Medicare they said yes. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear Henry and Reg took your advice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo--I'm going to check out Gloria's album!

    I'm so relieved that Henry is taking baby steps to get the coverage he needs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that Henry and Reg are getting enrolled in Obamacare. We still need to do more to fix health insurance in this country, but at least we still have The Affordable Care Act. I enjoyed your answers to the questions. Enjoy your three day weekend. See you agains soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. The misinformation out there. Glad they signed up for the insurance l

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get your letter written to Rose!
    Everyone needs insurance. I hope they get signed up!
    I used to look at US magazine at doctor's offices. They have pulled them though because of covid. :/ Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always liked Gloria Estefan. I hope Henry & Reg got all signed up. I know that would make everyone feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.