Charlotte is fine, sitting behind me as I post this. So that's good news.
But my mother is very sick again.
While on vacation with my sister's family in Wisconsin, she began vomiting blood. They took her to a hospital in a town called Portage, where they stabilized her. But her doctor acknowledges he doesn't have the capability to diagnose and treat her there, so tonight she's in Madison, having tests done.
Their goal in the new hospital is two fold -- 1) to find the source and stop the bleeding and 2) ward off pneumonia. Some "old" blood is unfortunately in her lungs, and for a woman of 77, that can be dangerous.
Fortunately I have lots of airline miles and am able to fly up there tomorrow morning for just $80. Booking this was difficult because my modem has been winking and blinking all day and it timed out before the transaction could go through. I actually made the reservation with my tablet at Starbucks. Without the internet, I feel like I'm roughing it a pioneer woman!
Being in Madison I will be surrounded by my sisters, which is always awkward at best. But I keep reminding myself that this is not about us, it's about my mother.
As Sir Paul sang in a song called "Two Of Us" .... she and I have memories longer than the road that stretches on ahead. That's what this is all about.
She sent me a note that I just received yesterday. She thanked me for helping her put together a get well gift for my niece/her granddaughter, who is scheduled to have her wisdom teeth pulled out next week. When we were talking about this last week, my mom was sad about not having the money to buy my niece anything, so I picked up a Bath & Body Works gift set in the scent she likes and told my mom to send me a "get well" in her own hand for me to stick in the package. No reason why that can't be from my mom, right? Then my mom is happy AND my niece is happy.
In the note I got yesterday, which accompanied the get well wishes for my niece, she wrote, "Thank you for being so helpful with this. You are quite a special kid and I love you."
I cherish that note, even as I'm frightened.
These are the thoughts and observations of me — a woman of a certain age. (Oh, my, God, I'm 65!) I'm single. I'm successful enough (independent, self supporting). I live just outside Chicago, the best city in the world. I'm an aunt and a friend. I feel that voices like mine are rather underrepresented online or in print. So here I am. If my musings resonate with you, please visit my blog again sometime.
Sunday, September 02, 2012
Please keep us in your thoughts
Posted by The Gal Herself at 9/02/2012 07:27:00 PM 8 comments:
24. Tell me what's on your mind? I'm pissed that MDA fired Jerry Lewis. Where else but the Labor Day Telethon could I see a grown man stick his hand up the ass of a giant Paul McCartney puppet and perform a duet of "The Girl Is Mine?" (I'm not imagining that act. I actually saw it on one of Jerry's last telethons.)
25. What are you looking forward to in the next three months? I see THE BOSS at Wrigley Field this Friday. In October I see Streisand. November is Holy Month (my birthday).
26. Have you ever worn the opposite sex's clothing? Sure. I've noticed boyfriends like giving me shirts to wear the morning after.
25. When did you last talk to your BFF? Received an email from him Friday afternoon.
28. When is your next road trip? I don't have anything planned. BUT I do have over a week of vacation time left, so I may just take off.
29. Do you have someone of the opposite sex you can tell anything to? Yes. My aforementioned BFF is a man. My friend John is very accepting, too.
30. How's your heart? Been battered so many times it must look like Ali's fists after one of the Frazier fights.
31. Have you ever felt like you weren't important? Yes. My high school years were very painful in this regard.
32. Do you think somebody's secretly in love with you? I suspect so.
33. What are you planning on doing after this? I have no plans for today. The makes me happy.
34. Last time you yelled at someone? I don't remember.
35. Have you told anybody you loved them today? It's rather early ...
36. Who do you not get along with? My least favorite coworker, The Chocolate Covered Spider.
37. What does your most recent text say? Mine to him: "For real?" His to me: "No lie! I saw ID." A friend of mine told me actually met someone named Elvis.
38. What are you wearing right now? My Vitameatavegamin night shirt. (I'm a slave to fashion.)
39. You're locked in a room with the person you last kissed in high school, how is it? More comfortable now that I don't have braces on my teeth.
40. When's the last time you had a grilled cheese? A couple days ago.
41. What's your favorite boy and girl name? Michael and Gracie.
42. How did you feel when you woke up? Thirsty.
43. Do you wish someone would call or text you right now? It's a little early ...
44. Do you think Clint Eastwood would have been better talking to a table? Poor old Clint looked pathetic, didn't he?
45. What were you doing yesterday at midnight? Watching Dead Again (1991) with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. I looooove that movie! It's a murder mystery/love story. Just romantic enough, just scary enough. What? You haven't seen it? You must!
Posted by The Gal Herself at 9/02/2012 07:00:00 AM 5 comments:
Labels: meme, Sunday Stealing, Telethon
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)