Sunday, January 12, 2014
This is Greg Maddux, pitching for the Cubs at age 40. He was in good shape for a 40 year old man: able to strike out major league batters, hit the occasional homerun himself, and be paid millions of dollars a year. He was strong enough to be known for making every start, not for time on the DL.
But the belt is riding lower than it did when he was 20. It's an accommodation to the passage of time.
Alex Rodriguez is 38 and the league believes he's dealing with age with performance enhancing drugs. He will spending the 2014 baseball season in street clothes.
Greg Maddux was just inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame with more than 97% of the votes.
I hope young people look at the belt and learn something.
P.S. I love Greg Maddux. I have enjoyed this week so. Can't wait for the ceremony this summer!
Yet it goes on all over today. Still.
"I don't beat my children. I spank them."
"I don't beat my dog. I discipline him."
All any living thing learns from being hit is to be afraid and angry. And to hit when they get big enough. That's why you hear so many people say, "I spank my children and my grandchildren. Just like I was spanked. And I turned out OK."
Except that you think it's OK to raise your hand -- to someone you love! -- in anger. Just like those audiences in the 1956, I ain't buying it.
1. What is the last book that you passed on to someone else to read? Then We Came to the End. It's a very good novel set in an agency where I once worked. I lent it to a friend/former coworker of mine, who also toiled in those saltmines.
2. The one song you secretly or not so secretly want to sing at karaoke? "New York, New York"
3. If you had to pick a new name for yourself, what would it be? Julie. I'm watching Carousel on TCM as I answer these and Shirley Jones' character was called "Julie."
4. What do you wish your administrator or boss would notice? How hard I work at making my art director/partner feel like a part of the process.
5. What is your biggest pet peeve? Space hogs. People who take up an extra seat on the train for their backpacks or totes, and space on the bench at the health club for their water bottles and mp3 players.
6. What holds you back in pursuing your biggest dream? Self discipline.
7. Why do you think you are a lovable person? Because I am imaginative and kind.
8. If every day had an extra hour in it, what would you do with it? Probably waste it playing Farmville.
9. The last song you turned up in your car or house was? "You Wear It Well" by Rod Stewart.
10. What is a secret talent you may have? I can wiggle my ears.
11. Your favorite thing to do outside when it's not too cold out in the winter? Walk. The streets are emptier and I notice things about my neighborhood that I don't see when the streets are full of people.
12. How do you respond if someone asks you an inappropriate or nosy question? Depends on the question.