Sunday, June 27, 2021
1. Do you like or dislike surprises? Why or why not? Am I doing the surprising (which I enjoy) or being surprised (which I'm not always a fan of)?
2. In the evening, would you rather play a game, visit a relative, watch a movie, or read? Which relative? If my cousin, niece, nephew or aunt is here, I'd like to visit. Otherwise, I'll choose a movie.
3. Would you rather vacation in Hawaii or Alaska, and why? Hawaii. I've been there twice and, if it wasn't for the length of the flight, would happily go for a return trip. I've heard about a beachfront spa at the Hilton in Waikiki that I think needs a visit from me.
4. Would you rather win the lottery or work at the perfect job? And why? Win the lottery! I've enjoyed my career enormously and, if I was 33 instead of 63, I'd choose the job. I've been fantasizing about this again since seeing In the Heights and hearing the song "If I Won the Lotto."
5. If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to? 1992. My career was beginning to take off, I was in love and felt sexy, and I was a Clinton campaign volunteer. That was my first winning campaign and the most fun.
6. Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without? The internet. Because I play games, email, listen to music, Zoom and watch movies, all from my laptop. Amazing, when you think of it.
7. How many pairs of shoes do you own? Lots and lots.
8. What would you do if you won the lottery? Today, the Illinois State Lottery jackpot is $7,250,000. After taxes, I'd have about $4,500,000. I would: RETIRE! Pay off my bills and my mortgage, make minimal updates to my condo so I could sell it and buy a nicer place (and I'd have a maid service every week). I'd help my friends in very specific ways. I'd set up an account at a veterinarian in Key West, so Henry and Reg can always give their beloved dogs the care they need, regardless of their finances. Similarly, I'd set up an Uber/Lyft account for my oldest friend. She no longer drives and her world has gotten so much smaller as she waits for relatives to drive her places.
9. What form of public transportation do you prefer? (air, boat, train, bus, car, etc.) Yes, please! I miss public transportation being plentiful and safe. Hopefully it's on its way back after covid19.
10. What's your favorite zoo animal? The okapi. They're rare and gentle, and they communicate with one another by making a "chuff" noise.
11. If you could go back in time to change one thing, what would it be? Oh, I don't know! Do I want to change the world or change my life? This is simply too big a question for me today.
12. How many pillows do you sleep with? Three (two under my head). I sleep better if my head is elevated a bit.
13. What's the longest you've gone without sleep (and why)? 20 hours. I was on deadline. I didn't so much fall asleep as surrender to it.
14. What's the tallest building you've been to the top in? I began my career at the Sears/Willis Tower (108 floors) and then worked for years in the AON Building (83 floors), so going to the top of tall buildings just feels like a busman's holiday. It's just not something I pay attention to.
15. What are your hobbies? Cubs baseball, TV, movies, reading, blogging.