Saturday 9: Saturday Night's Alright (1973)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Elton John tells us it's 7:00 PM on Saturday evening and he's ready to rock with his friends. What will you be doing at 7:00 this evening? I don't know. Nothing planned. I had a rather busy week and I am looking forward to unstructured time so maybe I can accomplish something (like watching this week's movie group film or adding some jewelry and tchotchkes to my February Goodwill bag).
2) His sister is ready to party, too. The lyrics tell us she looks cute with "a handful of grease in her hair." What haircare products would we find in your bathroom right now? Shampoo, conditioner, hairspray. And a can of mousse that I never use but won't part with because you never know when a hair emergency will arise that only mousse can solve. (An example of why is why my home is so overstuffed.)
3) He sings that by Saturday, he's had it with the aggravation and discipline of the past week and now he's ready to cut loose. How did last week treat you? It was more complicated than I would have liked: took my Connie Cat to a vet appointment a couple towns over for a consult and while the news was (gratefully) pretty good, it was expensive and stressful; my microwave suddenly crapped out; got my taxes done (never fun); found myself tied up in red tape with the Illinois Department of Employment Services (aka unemployment) and while every person I spoke to was kind and helpful, the issue still isn't resolved.
4) This Saturday night finds Elton and his friends "packed pretty tight" in their bar of choice. Agoraphobics have a hard time feeling safe in busy, crowded places. How about you? Are you comfortable in a crowd? It doesn't bother me.
5) The lyrics were written by Bernie Taupin, Elton's frequent collaborator. Bernie ranks this near the top of his favorite Elton John records. What's your favorite? First of all, I'm surprised this is one of Bernie's favorites because his clever lyrics are nearly unintelligible. I've been hearing this song since high school and truly didn't know Elton was singing, "She's with me!" until I looked up the lyrics for this meme. Anyway, this would be my favorite. (Reminds me of my schoolgirl crushes on middle-aged dream men.)
6) Elton has turned his bad eyesight into a hobby, claiming that over the years he has purchased well over 200,000 pairs of glasses. Do you wear glasses? If so, how many prescription pairs do you own? Four pair: two with my current prescription and two with a recent-but-still-obsolete ones. I keep meaning to donate the old ones at the Walmart Vision Center, but I go to Walmart so seldom .... (Note to self: Make a trip to Walmart!)
7) Elton once had to cancel an international tour because of an emergency appendectomy. Do you still have your appendix? Yes.
8) In 1973, when this song was popular, M*A*S*H was at the top of the ratings. Who is your favorite M*A*S*H character? Hawkeye, of course. Alan Alda was one of those middle-aged dreams referred to in #5. (Watching this clip, I still think he's pretty perfect.)
9) Random question: Who is the wisest person you know? Depends on the situation. I'm fortunate to have many really good people in my life I can turn to for wise counsel.