One Bad Apple (1971)
1) This song is a play on the old saying that one bad apple can spoil the bunch, or that the bad behavior of one member can reflect badly on the whole group. Do you think that's true? Yes. Of course. Boomers complain about Millennials, Millennials complain about Boomers, etc. It's not fair or smart, but painting everyone in a group with one broad brush happens all the time, every day.
5) Donny and younger sister Marie had their own TV variety show. One regular segment had them performing a medley of popular songs, and it began with Marie singing, "I'm a little bit country," followed by Donny's musical reply, "I'm a little bit rock and roll." In this regard, are you more like sister or brother? I suppose I'm as rock and roll as Donny. Back in 2014, my oldest friend and I celebrated my birthday in Las Vegas with Donny and Marie. They were great fun, and they were pure pop.
7) Donny has also appeared on Broadway. He surprised audiences and got rave reviews as arrogant bad guy Gaston in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Tell us about a time when your behavior surprised those who know you well. About 20 years ago, when I had just entered my 40s, I got involved with a much younger man. I liked him well enough -- he could be very funny -- but really, it was just about sex. I didn't like being in my 40's, and he met a girl he was getting serious about and was looking for a last fling before settling down. My friends were quite shocked by this. John was all surprised and all "atta girl." Henry and Kathleen clucked and warned me there was "no future in this," completely missing that neither he nor I wanted a future. I gotta give it to my oldest friend. She neither encouraged nor discouraged me. She just listened. I never did anything like this before or again, but it was a phase I had to go through. (He and I never broke up, really. He lost his job, had money trouble, and moved to Cleveland to crash with his brother. His girlfriend joined him there, they got married, had two sons and by all accounts built a nice life in Ohio. So maybe I was a just a phase he had to go through, too.)
8) Donny is also a grandfather, many times over! Sam admits she's not crazy about that revelation because it makes her feel old. What's something that makes you feel your years? To get my attention, my naughty cat Reynaldo knocked my makeup tray off my dresser. A tube of mascara rolled under my bed. I got on the floor to retrieve it, and realized getting up wouldn't be so easy. I'm a creaky old broad.
9) Random question: We're filling a pinata with your favorite candies. What should we buy? Nothing that will stick in my teeth! I'm in the midst of some dental work and am not willing to lose it in a piece of candy! So I'll go with those little "fun bars," the mini candy bars that are so popular at Halloween.