The lyrics ask where the snowflakes go. Sam can answer that: she
shovels them! Do you shovel or use a snow blower? Or do you live in a
warmer climate with no snow? None of the above. I live in a condo building, so we have a snow removal service. I wish we had a janitor on premises, like Fred Mertz, because sometimes by the time the service gets here, I've already been through the front door, down the stairs and over the walk, trudging through the white stuff. If I wasn't already paying for the service, I might get out there and shovel it my damn self.
Saturday 9: Purple Snowflakes (2018)
This week's artist, John Legend, recalls his Christmases growing up,
singing carols with his family around the piano. Do you have a piano, or
any other musical instruments, in your home? Nope.
3) This song is from John Legend's first Christmas album, A Legendary Christmas. It was a massive hit. Did you add any new music to your holiday collection this year? Kinda sorta. In that I never got around to playing my own Christmas carols and just let Alexa handle it. Yeah, I was lazy. But she has a much wider selection than I do.
5) Chrissy's hobby is cooking. While she likes experimenting with new recipes, her young children prefer their familiar favorites, like mashed potatoes. She tosses a bay leaf into the water as the potatoes boil to add enhance the flavor. Do you have a dish that's considered your specialty? Nope.
6) John prefers to unwind with a good book and loves comparing reading recommendations with friends. Did you discover any books in 2020 that you'd like to recommend to our Sat 9ers? If you like mystery/thrillers, I recommend Confessions on the 7:45 by Lisa Unger. In non-fiction, I finally got to Night to Remember. Written back in the 1950s, it's the definitive study on what happened the night The Titanic went down. It was engrossing!
7) This song was written by Motown powerhouse Marvin Gaye. Who is your favorite Motown artist? The supreme Miss Diana Ross.
8) In 1972, Marvin wrote another Christmas song, "I Want to Come Home for Christmas." He dedicated it to the troops then serving in Vietnam. Do you know anyone who is protecting us this holiday season? Tell us about him or her. Whether they are in the armed forces, the police or fire department, or the ER, we want to say thank you! I'd also like to thank all the essential workers who kept our lives going, day to day, during this past year. It must not be easy to deal with the public, some of whom are silly and selfish and refuse to wear masks, thereby putting you at risk.
9) Random question: You go into the kitchen to make your perfect sandwich. What fixings do you need? Oh! Since I've been on a bland diet,* I think of food more than ever! Right now I'd like ham on wheat, with lettuce and mayo. And a pickle.
*Everyone thinks of respiratory issues when they think of covid. During my bout with the virus, I never had any breathing issues. But my gut has been more than a little rebellious! If you find yourself having tummy trouble, call your doctor. It could be covid!