Saturday 9: One Night Standards (2019)
1) The video for this song takes place in a motel and the story is told from the point of view of the desk clerk. Have you ever worked in a hotel, motel, or bed-and-breakfast? Nope
2) Ashley McBryde sings that she's not Cinderella, a reference to the fairy-tale heroine warned to return from the ball before midnight. When did you recently stay up until the wee small hours of the morning? Not since the pandemic. As the baseball season ended, it made me sad that I never went to a game within The Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field and made a day of it. Get to the park early and watch the stands fill up with jerseys and blue shirts ... after the game, hang around at a nearby dive bar (like Joe's) until the crowd thins ... go to dinner ... take the last train home ... go to bed tired, likely sunburned and certainly broke but completely in love with my Cubs and Chicago.
3) Ashley had been working hard as a singer/songwriter for eleven years before she was discovered and proclaimed one of County's best new artists. What was your life like 11 years ago? In October 2009, my nephew and I celebrated his 10th birthday. I gave him a Harry Potter scarf and a stuffed turtle to add to the collection of plush pets that sat on his bed. This year, he just turned 21 away at college. I sent him $50 in gift cards to McDonald's and Burger King so he can eat in his car instead of in the dining hall because he's trying hard to limit his exposure to the corona virus. And, at my nephew's request, I used the rest of his designated gift budget to make an incremental contribution to Joe Biden's campaign. He's a kid with a conscience.
|2 scoops of Heaven|
5) In 2007, she moved to Nashville to pursue a music career. Have you ever relocated for a job? Nope. Never seriously considered it.
6) Whenever Ashley hears a Carpenters song, she thinks of her mother, who loved Karen Carpenter's voice. Tell us a song that reminds you a loved one. This was my favorite uncle's favorite song. He wasn't really a country music guy (his other favorites: Joan Baez, Barbra Streisand and Gladys Knight). I'm sorry I never asked him why he loved this record so. Did the lyrics remind him of a special girl? Was it playing on a jukebox during a special moment with friends? Or did he just like the sound of the guitar?
7) In 2019, the year this song was recorded, Notre Dame Cathedral was damaged in a fire. Have you ever visited Paris? Yes. Right after high school. I saw Notre Dame.
8) Also in 2019, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (aka Harry and Meghan) had a baby boy. Is anyone in your life expecting a baby? Nope.
9) Random question: Do you always want to hear the truth about yourself? NO! I think it would hurt my feelings.