Saturday, February 01, 2020
Saturday 9: Waiting All Day for Sunday Night (2012)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This week's Saturday 9 has a football theme because there's a big game Sunday. Will you be watching? Nope. I can't watch football at all. I see players like Mike Adamle and it breaks my heart, the way they were permanently damaged for our entertainment. I admit that watching a loved one -- my dear friend Henry -- deal with TBI exacerbates my feelings on this subject.
Also, I'm in advertising. By now I'm saturated by talk about the commercials and half time show, so The Big Game feels more than a bit like work.
2) The Super Bowl is a big day for food consumption in the US, second only to Thanksgiving. What's on your menu this weekend? Nothing planned. I'm just going to see how the weekend unfolds.
3) The NFL has decreed that the Super Bowl will never be played in a city that has a median February temperature of less than 50º. Would your hometown qualify for the Big Game? The median February temperature here in Chicago is 32º. You know, freezing. So no. (Though it is supposed to be unseasonably warm here on Sunday.)
4) This version of the NFL theme song mentions the Steelers and the Broncos. During the regular season, which team do you root for? How did they do in 2019? I don't really have a football team. I'm happy for Bear fans when the Bears do well, but I don't watch games.
5) This version of the Sunday Night Football song is by Faith Hill. She also has ties to the MLB, since her husband is Tim McGraw, son of the Mets' pitcher Tug McGraw. Which sport do you prefer -- baseball or football? Baseball. Specifically, Cubs baseball.
6) Faith has performed live at more than one The Super Bowl in the past, performing both "America, the Beautiful" and "The Star Spangled Banner." What's your favorite patriotic song? "America, the Beautiful" always gets me. When we sing this at church, the third verse is always included, and it's my favorite:
O, beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife
Who more than self thy country loved
And mercy more than life.
America! America! May God thy gold refine.
Til all success be nobleness and every gain divine.
7) She has a perfume line with Coty that was a big seller at CVS during Christmas 2018. What's the last item you bought at a drugstore? Allergy meds and a bottle of shampoo.
8) Faith Hill is the producer of a talk show on CMT called Pickler and Ben. Is the TV on as you answer these questions? If so, what are you watching? An old movie called The Last of Sheila. It's good, twisted fun.
9) Random question: You've got a chip in your hand and three dips to choose from -- guacamole, salsa, and onion. Where does your chip get dipped? Onion. Though I have no problem devouring a nice, plain corn chip or two. (Or ten.)