Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This is the theme from the 1980s sitcom, Growing Pains. Alan Thicke played Dr. Jason Seaver, one of TVs popular dads. Who is your favorite TV dad? Sheriff Andy Taylor. I loved him when I was a little girl, and I love him now. This melts me every time. To those of you not hooked on MeTV, Opie has been telling tall tales about "Mr. McBeevee." Andy tries to get to the heart of the matter ... and he does.
2) Joanna Kearns, who played Jason's wife, reports that she teased her costar by calling him, "Al," a nickname he hated. Is there someone in your life that you enjoy needling? Not especially. Teasing often feels mean.
3) For most of the series, the Seaver children each represented a "type." The oldest, Mike, was the trouble maker. The daughter, Carol, was the brainiac. Young Ben could be very high maintenance. Which of the Seaver kids were you most like when you were growing up? I suppose I was most like Mike, in that my grades were not great and I could be a wee bit rebellious.
4) In the song, BJ Thomas sings about being "the luckiest dreamer who never quit dreaming." If you could have any dream come true this Saturday, what would you wish for? I'd like to know my retirement will be secure financially.
5) When he mans the grill, Sam's father proudly wears the "Kiss the Chef" she gave him for Father's Day years ago. Tell us about a gift you gave someone that was a hit. The best gift I gave was to my niece,when she was 6, and seriously into the movie Anastasia. She used to walk around pretending to be Anastasia and could recite dialog. She was so Anastasia-obsessed that she had a dream about a Anastasia Store that carried only Anastasia products. As her dream went, she could purchase everything Anastasia for $100, and she happened to have exactly $100 in her purse.
I went on eBay and purchased all the Anastasia movie memorabilia I could find from all over the world (my favorite: plastic medallions that had been packaged in cereal boxes in Ireland). I spread them out all over my apartment and put a sign on the front door: Anastasia Store -- Everything for $100. The look on her face when she came in the door, the way she clasped her hands together under her chin and looked around the room in wonderment at the Anastasia dolls and books and puzzles and pillowcase, etc. was pure magic.
In a way, this was the greatest gift anyone has ever given me. I mean, how often in life do you get to make someone's dream literally come true?
6) Sam's dad takes his grilling very seriously and jealously guards his special marinade recipe. Do you have a secret you haven't even shared with family members? Oh, I have lots of secrets I'd never share with my family.
7) He recommends using a grill basket when barbecuing vegetables so you don't have to worry about them falling through the grill. Share one of your culinary tips with us. Just that my George Foreman grill has changed my life. Between the grill and my microwave, I don't have to turn the oven on. During this heatwave, that's a blessing. You can get one at Target.
8) Sam's father hates it when she swears. What's the last curse word you used? I don't recall exactly, but this is a good guess.
9) Sam's father satisfies his afternoon sugar craving with an almost endless stream of Butter Rum Lifesavers. When you crave a snack, do you usually want something sweet or salty? Impossible to predict. I never know if I'm going to reach for salty/cheesy crackers or sweet ice cream.