What's Love Got to Do with It? (1984)
What's Love Got to Do with It is also the title of Tina Turner's film biography, which tells of Tina's escape from her abusive, controlling husband, Ike. October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Spread the word that help is available.
1) The video was shot around New York City in spring. Kids are seen jumping rope. Were you good at jump rope? Has it ever been part of your workout routine as an adult? I was abysmal at jump rope back in the day. This was tough, because for us grammar school girls, it was the center of our playground social life. I've never tried it as an adult because the men at my health club are sooooo good and sooooo fast, I'm intimidated.
2) In real life, Tina Turner played basketball for her school. Were you good at team sports? Nope
3) In the video, Tina Turner wears a little black dress topped with a denim jacket. That jacket is a fashion staple 36 years later. Do you own a denim jacket? Yes! I love my Macy's Style & Co. denim jacket.
3) This song was first offered to Cliff Richard, a major pop star in England who never enjoyed gained superstar status in the US. Perhaps, if he had recorded "What's Love Got to Do with It?," he would have been better known on this side of the ocean. Tell us about a time when you said "no" when "yes" might have been the better answer. Back in the days when this song was popular, I was asked out on a third date by a very nice guy named Bill. He was sweet and liked to hold hands, but I didn't give him a chance. I was pining for someone else, who I was sure would come back into my life. "Someone Else" did come back, and I wasted a decade. I sometimes wonder how different my life would be if I'd said yes to Bill and no to Someone Else. Oh well, you can't force chemistry, and I wasn't attracted to Bill.
5) Tina met Erwin at Heathrow Airport in 1986. He was there to help her prepare for her London performances. They immediately liked one another, but didn't become romantically involved until months later and were surprised to find themselves falling in love. Have you ever had a romantic relationship that crept on you? Yes. We started out as friends and then one day, when I was trying to remember all the things I wanted to tell him next time we talked, I realized I was in love with him.
6) The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards referred to Tina as his "favorite aunt." Is there anyone who isn't a relative of yours by blood but you refer to as aunt, uncle, brother, sister, etc.? My friend Henry always tells me that we are brother and sister.
7) Former President George W. Bush is also a big Tina Turner fan, and has praised her for having "the most famous legs in show business." What do you believe is your best physical feature? With time, I like my dimples more and more. I think they make me look younger.
At home, Tina often doesn't always play music or TV because she
appreciates quiet as much as music. What about you? Do you enjoy quiet? No. Complete silence makes me nervous.
9) Random question: On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "very lazy" and 10 being "very productive," what number are you? 1.