Saturday 9: Give a Little Love (1988)
In memory of Naomi Judd (1946-2022)
1) In this week's song, the Judds tell us they aren't impressed by diamonds or foreign travel. If you had your choice, would you prefer a $1,500 diamond pendant or a $1,500 voucher from United Airlines? The voucher! It would enable my oldest friend and I to take a girlfriends' trip or two. Of course, the more mature thing would be to hock the pendant and put the $900 toward my upcoming dental work. Yet this is a fantasy, so why worry about such mundane matters?
2) In the video for this song, the Judds are shown having fun on the beach. Do you have any trips to the beach planned for the upcoming summer months? No. To be completely honest, I'm not a big fan of the beach. If I end up there, I'll wade in and I'm sure I'll have a good time. But it's not something I seek out.
7) Kid sister Ashley Judd is the only woman in her immediate family to not change her first name. Naomi was born Diana, and Wynona was originally Christina. Do you like your first name? It's fine.
8) In 1988, the year this song was popular, Sonny Bono went from entertainer to politician when he was elected Mayor of Palm Springs. Have you met the mayor of your town? Nope.
9) Random question: Were you a member of the Columbia House Record Club? Yes! I loved it when those big packages arrived, filled with 12" LPs.