1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before? Watched the Cubs in THE WORLD SERIES!
2. Best thing that happened to you was... Watching the Cubs in THE WORLD SERIES!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Two coworkers gave birth, but they were nowhere close to me when they did it.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, I had a tough September. Mindy's mom, Katie's brother and Henry's friend.
5. What countries did you visit? Red State Florida and Tennessee. No kidding. Being from true blue Chicago, it felt like I was in a different world.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016? Health. I've been weary and sick for so long, beginning in late December 2015. So far we know everything I don't have -- we've eliminated diabetes, thyroid disease, malfunctions of liver/kidneys/hormones and autoimmune disease. But what is bedeviling me? In 2017, we'll test me for sleep apnea. Wish me luck. Sleep apnea is really not that hard to treat, and it will be such a relief to finally have an answer!
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? November 2. Game 8 of THE WORLD SERIES.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting through it. Really, except for the Cubs, this year really sucked.
9. What was your biggest failure? My home and finances are still a mess.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I began the year with c. diff. It's a tenacious gastrointestinal malady. You don't want to hear any more about it, trust me.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My new mid-century modern sofa.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Donald Trump. And, if you think it's OK to mock the disabled, Hillary was right: you are deplorable. My uncle suffered mightily with Parkinson's, so this is very personal to me.
14. Where did most of your money go? Well, I spent more on that sofa than I should have. And I had to fork over special assessments to pay the exterminator because my condo building had bed bugs. (Really, 2016 was awful for me.)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The Cubs in THE WORLD SERIES!
16. What song will always remind you of 2016? "I'm just like my country, I'm young, scrappy and hungry and I'm not throwing away my shot."
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? I suppose I'm happier than I was New Year's Eve last year, but fatter and maybe not poorer but certainly not richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Exercise.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Spend.
20. How will you spend New Year's Eve? Cocooning. I do not wish to leave the house tonight.
21. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "There is no more status quo. But the sun comes up and the world still spins." Hamilton again. "What'd I Miss?"
22. What was your favorite new TV program? This Is Us
23. What was the rudest thing someone did to you in 2016? Oh, some woman on the el. It's always someone on the el.
24. What was the best book you read? The Chairman, James Kaplan's bio of Frank Sinatra.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Lin-Manuel Miranda.
26. What did you want and get? Hamilton tickets.
27. What did you want and not get? The winning lottery numbers.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Jackie was riveting. Since it deals with rage and grief, it's not a feel-good film. But I thought it was important. For me, the takeaway was that we can handle what we must. She sure as shit did.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I took myself to Graceland this year for my 59th birthday. I had a wonderful time, but it was sobering. After all, I've now outlived The King by a good long while, and that made me sad. He deserved a longer, happier ride.
30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying? The Cubs won THE WORLD SERIES!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016? I've embraced wearing Cubs gear everywhere and anywhere.
32. What kept you sane? The Cubs.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Henry Talbot. He was Lady Mary's yummy second husband on Downton Abbey. The actor's name is Matthew Goode. He was also yummy in The Good Wife.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Which major Presidential candidate will choose Supreme Court justices over the next four years? I believe in women's and LGBT rights, so I am worried about the outcome of the last election.
35. Who did you miss? My dad, my grandparents, my uncle. Cub fans all. They should have been here to see and celebrate the Cubs win THE WORLD SERIES!
36. Who was the best new person you met? I suppose Dru. He a design guru at the office and we clashed a lot at first. But then we began circling one another warily and now we admire one another's strengths. In 2017, he promises to help me learn a new software program. That will be nice. I like learning new things.