These are the thoughts and observations of me — a woman of a certain age. (Oh, my, God, I'm 65!) I'm single. I'm successful enough (independent, self supporting). I live just outside Chicago, the best city in the world. I'm an aunt and a friend. I feel that voices like mine are rather underrepresented online or in print. So here I am. If my musings resonate with you, please visit my blog again sometime.
Saturday, December 12, 2015
Happy birthday, Francis
I can think of no better way to pay tribute to Frank Sinatra on his 100th birthday than with Frank Sinatra.
Posted by The Gal Herself at 12/12/2015 09:49:00 AM 2 comments:
Saturday 9: Chuck E.'s in Love (1979)1) In this song, Chuck E.'s friends look for him at the pool hall and the drugstore. If we want to find you on a Saturday afternoon, where should we look? This weekend, I'm getting my holiday pedi. Revlon 590 Trendy. It's the first time I've moved out of the pink/red realm into teal. Time to broaden my horizons!
2) The lyrics tell us his friends know something up with Chuck E because he's even combed his hair. So here's a question about your hair: do you usually use a blow dryer or let it air dry? I blow it dry. It's pretty short now, so I don't need mousse. But in about a week or so, I'll have to call in reinforcements to control it.
3) In this song, Ricki Lee sings that she spotted Chuck E. at the Pantages, a grand old Los Angeles theater. Nearly 100 years old, the Pantages was originally a movie palace and was renovated in the 1980s for concerts and theatrical productions. Tell us about a cool landmark in your town. Macy's on State Street is a National Historic Landmark. It was originally the Marshall Field's flagship store. Nine stories tall, it's been there since 1873. It's awesome. The Christmas windows are always adorable (this year's are devoted to Peanuts). There's a fountain in the lobby where I've tossed countless pennies making untold wishes. It's my favorite place to shop. And it means a lot to the city. That's why the protesters have targeted it so often these past few weeks.
4) "Chuck E." is a real person. Chuck E. Weiss is a blues musician and DJ who hung around with Ricki Lee and her boyfriend ... until he fell in love. Have you ever had a friendship fall by the wayside when one of you entered a romantic relationship? Not over romance or marriage. Babies have proven to the death knell of some friendships. Parents of wee ones just can't get together after work anymore.
5) Rickie Lee was once married to a French musician named Pascal Nabet-Meyer. Say something to us in French. Sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble.
6) When her popularity was at its height, Rickie Lee appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone twice. Who have you seen on a recent magazine cover? Just read the PEOPLE cover story about Sandra Bullock and her new daughter. Aw ...
7) Rolling Stone called Rickie Lee "the duchess of cool." Who is the coolest person you know? Not Rickie Lee Jones. She looks so incredibly hygienically challenged, with her greasy hair and little brown cigs. YUK. Instead I'll vote for my friend John. He's hip. He marches to his own drummer. And while we've never discussed it, I'm certain he washes his hair more often than Rickie Lee Jones.
9) Rickie Lee moved to New Orleans, a city she fell in love with after a visit. Have you ever gone to a vacation spot and wished you could just stay there forever? Washington DC or Boston. I feel enormously comfortable in both places.
Posted by The Gal Herself at 12/12/2015 12:03:00 AM 6 comments:
Labels: meme, Saturday 9
Day 12: I'm a wrapper
Depends on the gift, but for the most part, I'm paper.
To play along with this challenge, click here.
Posted by The Gal Herself at 12/12/2015 12:03:00 AM No comments:
Labels: Christmas, Christmas Challenge
So far, so good
|AP photo, taken from abc News|
Another week of protests have come to an end. Streets have been closed, business and shopping and commuting have been disrupted, but blessedly, there have few arrests, and no violent police/demonstrator clashes.
I'm proud of the way Chicago is working through this. Citizens are in pain and they are determined to make themselves heard. The CPD has been respectful of everyone's First Amendment rights, and the demonstrators have given the police no reason to arrest them.
But I'm so sorry it's happening. The tension is palpable.
Posted by The Gal Herself at 12/12/2015 12:02:00 AM 1 comment:
Labels: Current affairs
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)