LAYER 1: Tell us your...
* Eye color: Green
* Hair color: Light brown with more gray each and every month
* Height: 5'2
* Righty or lefty: Righty (or, as my chiropractor told me, I'm "significantly right dominant")
LAYER 2: What's...
* Your heritage: I grew up believing I was 88% German, 12% Irish, with the Irish coming from my maternal grandmother. My aunt recently shared the results of her Ancestry/DNA kit. Her mother's daughter, she was expecting to find she was about 25% Irish. No Irish whatsoever. Mostly German, the rest nearly equal parts Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. So who knows? I also wonder if it matters.
* The shoes you wore today: Gray Nikes.
* Your weakness: Lack of discipline.
* Your fears: Losing my independence.
* Your perfect pizza: Thin crust, plain cheese.
* Goals you’d like to achieve: I'd like to be serene.
* Your first waking thoughts: "What the hell was that?" It's a question I ask myself because I've had some freaky dreams lately.
* Your best physical feature: My cute turned-up nose.
* Your most missed memory: I'm sorry but I don't understand the question
LAYER 3: Do you...
* Smoke: Never
* Cuss: Constantly. My father constantly admonished that when I cussed I was revealing I had a small vocabulary. So it's kinda funny I built a career as a writer, isn't it?
* Sing: I'm tragically tone deaf.
* Do you think you’ve been in love: I know I have.
* Did you go to college: Oh, I went. For a short time. No degree.
* Liked high school: Ugh. No.
* Believe in yourself: I have my doubts.
* Think you’re attractive: I can be.
* Think you’re a health freak: No.
* Like thunderstorms: I don't like or dislike them. I take them as they come.
* Play an instrument: No.
LAYER 4: In the past month have you…
* Drunk alcohol: I had to. Last Wednesday was Joe Maddon's birthday, a holiday every Cub fan must observe.
* Smoked: Never once. Not anything.
* Done a drug: Nope
* Made out: Regretfully, no.
* Gone on a date: Nope.
* Gone to the mall: Nope.
* Eaten an entire box of Oreos: Not in the past month.
* Eaten sushi: Nope.
* Been on stage: Nope.
* Been dumped: Nope.
* Gone skating: Nope. I'm equally inept ice and roller skating.
* Gone skinny dipping: Nope.
I suppose it's been a slow month.
LAYER 5: Have you ever…
* Played a game that required removal of clothing: Nope.
* Been trashed or extremely intoxicated: Yes.
* Been caught “doing something”: I don't understand this question.
* Been called a tease: Not to my face.
* Gotten beaten up:
* Age you did get/hope to be married: I've never really wanted to be married.
* How do you want to die: Suddenly
* What did you want to be when you grew up: Taller. I know that seems like flippant answer, but I do wish I was taller.
* What country would you most like to visit: I'm pretty incurious about the rest of the world. I think it's because there's so much of this country I haven't seen or would love to revisit.
LAYER 7: Now tell...
* Name a person you could trust with your life: My oldest friend. Now that he's older, my nephew.
* Name a favorite CD that you own:
* Number of piercings: One in each ear
* Number of tattoos: None
* Number of times my name has appeared in the newspaper: I was the subject of one major news story. A long, long time ago I won the Chicago Tribune's movie trivia contest. They devoted a full page to moi. The top prize was $1,000. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $2,500 today. I was always broke in those days, so I was more thrilled with the prize than the short-lived fame.
* Name a past experience that you regret: I try not to regret anything.