Saturday 9: GET ON YOUR FEET (1989)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
4) In addition to music and writing, she's a linguist. As a college student, she supported herself as an English/French/Spanish translator at Miami International Airport. When were you most recently at an airport? Were you traveling yourself, or picking someone up/dropping them off? I was returning home from Key West after Christmas.
5) Gloria made her acting debut in 1999's Music of the Heart, a Meryl Streep movie about music teachers in Harlem. Did you have music classes in school? Have you ever taken private lessons? Yes, I had music classes in public school. But they made me sad because I'm tragically unmusical. I wish I could sing, but I'm tone deaf.
6) Today Gloria is one of the celebrity residents of Star Island, a man-made island in Biscayne Bay. Star Island is connected to the mainland by MacArthur Causeway, named for General Douglas MacArthur. Tell us about a street in your neighborhood, and who it's named for. Cermak Road is a busy street named for Anton Cermak, the Mayor of Chicago was killed during an assassination attempt against FDR. (Everything damn thing here seems to go back to gun violence.)
7) 1989, the year "Get on Your Feet" was popular, was the year of the first HDTV broadcast. By 1998, high-def shows and TVs were dominant. How many TVs are in your home? Do you watch shows on your computer or phone? I have two TVs, one in the living room and one in my bedroom. I prefer to watch videos, shows and movies on my TV, not on my computer or phone.
8) Also in 1989, The Simpsons premiered. It's now the longest-running prime-time TV show ever. Are you a fan? I like it when I stumble upon it, but I don't seek it out.
9) Random question: Should husbands wear their wedding rings? I don't care.