|Read more about it here|
Saturday, October 15, 2022
Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend (1983)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) The lyrics tell us Dolly Parton has spotted a fella who twisted her ignition key and turned her motor on. That was in 1983. Keys are less common today, since many cars are equipped with with push button ignitions and more doors now open for those who know the key pad code or have the right swipe card. What's the last thing you used a key to start or unlock? My front door.
2) Her potential new boyfriend bought her a drink and she thanked him real sweet. Have you more recently said "thank you," or been thanked yourself? I was thanked by the man I held the door for.
3) This is Dolly's first music video. "Potential New Boyfriend" was a top 20 country hit and made #13 Billboard's Dance chart, yet it's not well remembered today. Share a song from one of your favorite artists that the rest of us Sat 9-ers might not know. I love this song so much. It's the juxtaposition of the upbeat tune and jaunty vocal with the sad lyrics. That McCartney kid, he's really good and should stick with the music thing.
4) This is not Dolly's first song about a romantic rival. Her hit "Jolene" was inspired by a bank teller who regularly flirted with Dolly's real (not potential!) husband, Carl Dean. Have you recently fallen victim to the green-eyed monster of jealousy? If yes, what were you jealous of (someone's affections, possessions, success ...)? I get jealous of people who made better choices than I have. Whether it's putting more of my paycheck into my 401(k) or ordering the chocolate martini, I often find myself saying, "I wish I'd done that!"
5) Dolly enjoys telling interviewers she met Carl at the Wishy-Washy Laundromat in Nashville. Do you have a hamperful of dirty clothes awaiting you? Or are you all caught up with that particular household chore? Are we ever all caught up? I mean, unless you do your laundry in the nude (and I think that frown on that at the Wishy-Washy), you always have clothes that could use laundering.
6) Dolly Parton's Imagination Library makes free books available to children. It was begun in 1995, and by 2020, her charity had distributed 150,000,000 books! When you were a very young reader, what was your favorite book? The Little Leftover Witch holds a special place in my memory. It was one of the first "chapter books" I ever read on my own, one of the first books I ever renewed at the library. It's about a little girl who finds a witch at Halloween and invites her to stay with her mortal family. I'm happy to see it's still available, so you can share it with any young readers in your life this Halloween.
7) Andy Warhol was fascinated by Dolly. When he asked her what her perfect meal would include, she responded it would have to start with chicken and dumpling soup. How would you have answered Andy? What's your perfect dinner menu? My favorite appetizer is spinach artichoke dip. I would love a ribeye steak. Or maybe a thick slice of prime rib. Baked potato. Something chocolate for dessert. Lots of Coke.
8) Thinking of chicken ... In 1983, when this song was popular, McDonald's introduced McNuggets. Today, it's one of McDonald's most popular menu items. Are you a fan? They're OK. I'd rather have a Big Mac.
9) Random question: Would you rather visit a desert or a jungle? Oh, the jungle! I'd love to see those animals and experience those cultures.