These are the thoughts and observations of me — a woman of a certain age. (Oh, my, God, I'm 60!) I'm single. I'm successful enough (independent, self supporting). I live in the burbs and work in the city (Chicago, the best city in the world). I'm an aunt, a friend and a colleague. I feel that voices like mine are rather underrepresented online or in print. So here I am. If my musings resonate with you, please visit my blog again sometime.
1) This song was chosen because yesterday was Black Friday,
the traditional day of sales. Have you begun your Christmas shopping? I'm almost done! It's a habit I picked up from my mom: when you see something that's perfect, snap it up, regardless of the month. Go by the gift, not by the calendar. I'm glad I did because Hanukkah is really early this year (begins 11/28) and I have a gift I've got to get into the mail pronto.
2) Was there an adult beverage served with your Thanksgiving feast?I had a margarita. One of my friends had beer, the other ordered Prosecco.
3) Did any pets enjoy scraps from your Thanksgiving table? Nope. I ate out with friends.
4) Are there any Thanksgiving leftovers in your refrigerator right now? Nope. I very nearly cleaned my plate and ended up in a food coma.
5) Football is a popular Thanksgiving weekend pastime. Will you be watching any
games over the next few days? If yes, which team(s) are you rooting for? I don't do football. I'm too busy following internet chatter about where my favorite (ouch! former) Cubs, Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant, will play next year.
This week's song is by Canadian Alannah Myles. She was born Alannah
Byles (with a B), but changed her name to differentiate herself from her
father. He was influential in Canadian broadcasting and she didn't want
to be accused of riding his coattails. Have you ever received a
professional leg up from a relative? Nope.
7) In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Instead of pumpkin pie, Canadians traditionally enjoy butter tarts for dessert. What dessert was on your Thanksgiving menu? They ran out of pumpkin pie so I had cheesecake. It was a mistake. Not because it wasn't good -- it was delicious -- but it put me into a food coma. I guess butternut bisque, light/dark turkey meat, hot apples, green beans, stuffing and mashed potatoes were enough. Plenty!
"Black Velvet" is a tribute to Elvis. Songwriter Christopher Ward said
he was inspired by a trip to Memphis, long after Elvis' death, where he
spoke to The King's fans and was touched by how much they still loved
their favorite singer. Who is your favorite singer?
Looking forward to reading his lyrical memoir
I admit it's jarring to see him as he is today because I've been watching Get Back, another view of the making of Let It Be.
9) Share a memory from Thanksgiving 2020. I had a frozen turkey dinner alone. 2021 was such an improvement! I'm so thankful for that triple shot of Pfizer.
60s Barbie and I hope you're having a lovely Thanksgiving weekend.