Thirteen most profitable movies of all time. It costs $9 to see a movie at my local theater. That's why this list of box office champs with all those new millennium titles seems like bullshit to me. After all in 1939, movie goers saw Gone with the Wind for 25¢. In 1965, a ticket to The Sound of Music cost about $1.00. So the following list, which is adjusted for inflation, makes way more sense to me.
By the way, this is based solely on tickets sold. TV, rental and streaming revenue is not included. I imagine if it was, you'd see The Wizard of Oz on this list, too.
1. Gone with the Wind (1939)
2. Star Wars: Episode 4 -- A New Hope (1977)
3. The Sound of Music (1965)
4. ET, The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
5. Titanic (1997)
6. The Ten Commandments (1956)
7. Jaws (1975)
8. Doctor Zhivago (1965)
9. The Exorcist (1973)
10. Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs (1937)
11. Star Wars: Episode 7 -- The Force Awakens (2015)
12. 101 Dalmatians (1961)
13. Star Wars: Episode 6 -- The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
I'm beginning to think I'm the only one on earth who's not into Star Wars. How about you?
Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.