Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Thursday Thirteen #241

The Thirteen Most Popular Songs, January 1982.*  I can still sing along with the first 12. Even with the ones I never especially liked (#2 and #4). That's how powerful and influential Top 40 radio was in my life 40 years ago.

1. Physical -- Olivia Newton-John

2. Waiting for a Girl like You -- Foreigner

3. Let's Groove -- Earth, Wind and Fire (My favorite; though I only ever knew the refrain. Hearing it digitally makes the lyrics so much clearer than they sounded through my AA battery-operated Walkman. )


 4. I Can't Go for That -- Hall and Oates

5. Young Turks -- Rod Stewart

6. Harden My Heart -- Quarterflash

7. Leather and Lace -- Stevie Nicks and Don Henley

8. Centerfold -- The J. Geils Band

9. Turn Your Love Around -- George Benson (My then boyfriend loved this one)

10. Trouble -- Lindsey Buckingham

11. Yesterday's Songs -- Neil Diamond (And now it is one of yesterday's songs)

12. Coming In and Out of Your Life -- Barbra Streisand (the girl can break your heart with lyric)

 

 13.  The Sweetest Thing I've Ever Known -- Juice Newton (Your Honor, I swear I've never heard this before in my life)



Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.

 

*According to our friends at Billboard.

4 comments:

  1. Good memories. I love all of these songs. The 80s were my favorite decade. I love most 80s music, and the "big hair" look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--those songs have such specific memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. Great list. That last song is one I play on the guitar. Can't sing it all that well, though. However, the Neil Diamond song is not familiar to me. Isn't it funny how our songs probably varied from area to area because of the radio stations we listened to way back then? I miss those days when we all were on the same page, err, song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun list! All those songs take me right back. 1982 was the year I graduated from high school and started college. I have to admit that I don't really know 12 or 13, though. When it comes to 'Physical' I can still picture Olivia singing it surrounded by the Solid Gold dancers (remember that show?) in their headbands and legwarmers. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.