Saturday, July 10, 2010

Why baseball matters

Today's Cubs-Dodgers game had everything -- good pitching, clutch hitting, homeruns and even Lou Piniella getting ejected (first time this season; 65th time in his career). My heroes in pinstripes won 7-3. It was never even close, and a fine time was had by me.

The finest time I've had all week.

During a week that presented me with illness and death, there's something so comfortingly dependable about baseball, so predictably joyous about the Cubs coming through when they really had to -- if not for their playoff chances, then to salve this particular fan's spirit.

Like the Beatles, I can always count on the Cubs to take me out of myself for a while. That's why I count myself lucky.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about a baseball game. It takes me away from the world for a few hours. Nothing else I'd rather do to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.