Wednesday, July 07, 2010

I Want Wednesday


I want it all to slow down.

Sometimes moments seem to crawl along, while years are zooming by, and I'd like that to change, please.

Not only is Ringo Starr now 70, but one of my clients died over the weekend at 71. He was a terrific man, one of my favorites because he was always lively and enthusiastic. His death was sudden, a massive heart attack. I suspect that was a blessing for him, but difficult for his family.

As I looked over his obituary and saw the richness of his life, I wasn't surprised. He seemed like one who would be involved, not on the sidelines. But I also saw a life that may have looked ordinary. A tour of duty in Vietnam, followed by an associate degree and a career in finance with a handful of companies right there in the hometown he never left. He married young and is survived by that same wife, as well 4 children and 7 grandchildren. At the time of his death, he'd already lost his parents and two sisters (one was his twin). For 25 years he refereed the high school's home football games. He went to work every day, sitting in his cubicle, doing his job day in and day out with integrity. I find much to admire about the way he conducted his "ordinary" life. And this past weekend he died.

I wonder if he felt it went by too quickly.

I look at my mom and know that, while virtually his age, she no longer has the stamina or mental acuity he demonstrated as recently as last week.

I think of my own life -- how the All-Star break is almost upon us, June 2010 is but a memory, and how my vacation in Williamsburg feels like it was just yesterday.

I want it all to slow down.

What about you? What do you want?

4 comments:

  1. Me too. I feel like pages of the calendar that once floated by are now rolling along at lightening speed. I cannot believe it's July already!!

    I'd also like all the weird shit that's floating in the air (figuratively speaking) to stop and let us all catch our collective breath. It's one awful thing after another.

    Other than that, I mostly want to sit in my jammies and surf the 'net.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminds me to savor more of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with this too. It does seem as if life is barreling by at breakneck speed. Seventy seem so young to me now.

    I, too, want it all to slow down.

    I'm sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things I want to accomplish, yet, somehow everyday seems to blur by without getting anything completed.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.