SONGS OF THE SEASON
1. White Christmas. “May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white.” A sweet, enduring sentiment, and I especially love the pure, restrained, peerless rendition by Barbra Streisand.
2. Blue Christmas. By Elvis. Of course. Accept no substitutes.
3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. When you hear John Mellencamp do this, you’ll just know that Santa rocks.
4. Santa, Bring My Baby Back to Me. If Santa heard Elvis' plea, he couldn't possibly refuse.
5. Merry Christmas, Baby. When the Boss sings this, I have very vivid fantasies about mistletoe and all its possibilities.
6. Sleigh Ride. I love Andy Williams’ "ring-a-ling" version. Maybe it’s cheesy. I don’t know, as I can’t be objective when it comes to Andy and Christmas. I so loved his Christmas specials when I was a kid!
7. The Christmas Song. “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire …” You know, I’ve never seen, heard or smelled chestnuts roasting on an open fire. And yet, this is one of the most powerfully evocative holiday songs. Go figure.
8. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. It’s always lovely, but no one does it like the lady who introduced it – Judy Garland.
9. River. “I’m so hard to handle. I’m selfish and I’m sad …” The holidays can be an emotional roller coaster for me, and this wistful Joni Mitchell song completely captures that spirit of the season. James Taylor did an exceptional rendition of this recently.
10. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. But only by Dean Martin. Dino gets goofy and begins referring to “Rudy, the red-beaked reindeer.” Cracks me up every time.
And beyond Santa and Rudolph and snow, Christmas is about the birth of Christ the Savior. I love welcoming Christmas Day by singing these carols at the midnight service.
11. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.
12. The First Noel.
13. Silent Night.
Include your link in the comments and I'll list you here
1. Samantha K shares what popped into her head this afternoon
2. Damozel shows us how to increase our blog traffic
3. Lori lists 13 of life's toughest lessons
4. Sandy Carlson is a biblical one about fear
5. Sandee highlights 13 very funny people
6. Shesawriter lists 13 men who are guaranteed to get your pulse racing
7. Chelle Y. loves holiday TV specials
8. Nicholas' TT is a literary one, this time highlighting the ladies
9. Greatfullivin takes a closer look at George and Mary Bailey
10. Mocha Mom tells us a little more about Mocha Mom
11. Malcolm's TT is a birthday tribute to Little Richard
12. Lori's TT is very wise and insightful
13. Jenny McB's TT is yummy
14. Works for Mom has some genuinely "unique" holiday gifts
15. No Nonsense Girl shares what's on her mind
16. Secret Agent Mama has an astrological TT
17. Candy shares 13 inspirational quotes
18. Fresh Girl has a warm, funny list
19. Natalie shows us why she's a Calvin & Hobbs fan
20. Adelle's TT also celebrates the season
21. Denise's TT is about St. Nick
22. Carrie Lofty tackles 13 questions
23. Mo and I are tracking with our lists!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants