THE ONE, THE ONLY,
Groucho Marx died the same week in August, 1977, as Elvis Presley. Since Grouch was 87 years old and had been suffering from pneumonia, his death was hardly a surprise and barely newsworthy compared to the King’s sudden and shocking demise.
Because his passing was passed over, I’m giving him special attention in my blog. It’s the least I can do, since his work continues to bring me joy. I smile just thinking of him. Here is a quick overview of one of the most influential careers in Hollywood …
• 26 films, 15 with his brothers
• 11 years as host of You Bet Your Life
• Won an Emmy and received an honorary Oscar (on behalf of his brothers, too)
• Author of (at least) four books
• Though not known as a singer, he performed such numbers as “Whatever It Is, I’m Against It” and my favorite, “Lydia, the Tattooed Lady.” (“She had eyes that men adore so, and her torso, even more so!”)
And now, here’s the good part. My thirteen favorite quotes from a career that produced thousands:
1. If you want to see a comic strip, watch me take a shower.
2. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
3. Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read anyway.
4. Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. And how he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.
5. Don’t gulp that poison! It’s $4 a bottle!
6. Any man who can see through women is missing a lot.
7. I don’t want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.
8. I have here an accident policy that will absolutely protect you no matter what happens. If you lose a leg, we'll help you look for it.
9. I intend to live forever or die trying.
10. I’ve known and respected your husband for many years – and if you’re good enough for him, you’re good enough for me!
11. Here’s to our wives and our girlfriends … May they never meet!
12. I could dance with you until the cows came home. On second thought, I’d rather dance with the cows until you came home.
13. I wish you’d keep my hands to yourself.
Include your link in the comments and I'll add you here:
1) Sandy Carlson wonders how we should consider these lovely days
2) Anthony North takes on the power of prayer
3) Help Claudia finish her story
4) Gina's Public Diary is a TT devoted to the Olympics
5) Nicholas does a book TT, as only Nicholas can do6) Malcolm remembers 13 forgotten TV shows
7) Yasmin takes us to the beach
8) Nicole Austin shares what she knows about hurricanes
9) Julia takes on the classics
10) B Boys Mom shares what she (and Andy Rooney) have learned
11) Meju came up with 13 real towns with real funny names
12) Joy informs us about grapes from California
13) Lori looks to the future
14) Journeywoman takes a realistic look at what comes after "happily ever after"
15) SJR revisits Dodge City
16) Bernie has 13 problems with the web
17) Yummy shares the secret to receiving better customer service
18) Alice's is a random TT
19) Marcia celebrates a beautiful milestone
20) Lisa offers up more listening options
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants