Since Thursday is Thanksgiving, let me give thanks for film, kinescopes and videotape. Without the magic of media, I couldn't be as familiar with Groucho Marx. What a loss that would be, because everything about the man cracks me up. His silly, painted-on mustache. The stooped walk. His wonderful, goofy songs (Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Hello I Must Be Going, Hooray for Captain Spaulding). His timing and delivery. Even the names of his movie characters: Hugo Z. Hackenbush, Rufus T. Firefly, Otis B. Driftwood.
Here are 13 of his quotes. As you read these lines, imagine them spoken as only Groucho could.
1. If you want to see a comic strip, watch me take a shower.
2. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
3. Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read anyway.
4. Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. And how he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.
5. Don’t gulp that poison! It’s $4 a bottle!
6. Any man who can see through women is missing a lot.
7. I don’t want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.
8. I have here an accident policy that will absolutely protect you no matter what happens. If you lose a leg, we'll help you look for it.
9. I intend to live forever or die trying.
10. I’ve known and respected your husband for many years – and if you’re good enough for him, you’re good enough for me!
11. Here’s to our wives and our girlfriends … May they never meet!
12. I could dance with you until the cows came home. On second thought, I’d rather dance with the cows until you came home.
13. I wish you’d keep my hands to yourself.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Holly recommends drinking mimosas and 12 other non-football endeavors for Thanksgiving.
2. Susie J takes us into the kitchen and shares the secret to really great cornbread
3. Ellen b sings the praises of New York
4. Tink fills us in with 13 facts about her life today
5. SJ introduces us to 13 of her ancestors
6. Nicholas returns to his bookshelf with his TT
7. Yuriko shares 13 Thanksgiving wishes
8. Lori has a thankful TT this week
9. Get to know Ms. Nononsense a bit better through her TT
10. Susan Helene shares Thanksgiving lore from her town of Riverview
11. Janet has a dreamy Thanksgiving menu
12. Shesawriter has a literary TT
13. Fresh Girl pauses to be thankful with her TT
14. Wacky Mommy shares "a little about us."
15. Grace lists 13 momentous events that happened on 11/22 -- her birthday!
16. Sassy Lucy is thankful today, and here's why
17. Amy's TT is a how-to about reaching your goals
18. Geek Betty is a thankful one, but from her one-of-a-kind POV
19. Adelle's TT is filled with fascinating facts
20. Aline PROVES she exists!
21. Di shares her iPod playlist with us.
22. See why Leslie enjoys Fall
23. I Am the Diva is suspicious, and here's why
24. Harlekwin's TT is beautiful
25. Denise introduces us to 13 fascinating characters
26. Tina Kubala is thankful, and here's why
27. Damozel gives us 13 profiles in courage
28. DriverAA is thankful, too, and shares 13 reasons
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants