Sunday, November 04, 2018
Every year, November 4 is the day we blog for peace. This year, November 6 is Election Day. In my blog blast post, I'm marrying the two.
Think peace when you vote. When you have a choice, support the candidate who seeks to build bridges, not walls. Cast your ballot for the candidate who will bring us closer to commonsense background checks and a ban on assault weapons.
Remember the words of Notre Dame's Rev. Theordore Hesburgh: "Voting is a sacred sacrament." Make your vote a vote for peace on Tuesday!
Go here to find out more about Blog4Peace.
Pop Tarts1. What's the coldest temp you've experienced? I know we hit -27º back in the 1980s. I don't recall that specific day, but I do remember one January when I had to go to the laundromat, which was a walk of several blocks. When I got inside, my eyelashes were frozen.
All that said, I'd rather be below zero than 90º or more above.
2. What's for dinner tonight? Haven't decided. Suggestions?
3. Would you consider moving to Australia? Depends upon the circumstances, but I suppose so.
4. What was your favorite subject in high school? American history, by far.
5. How many hours a day is your tv on? That depends on how many hours a day I'm home. But if I'm here, it's usually on.
6. Have you ever received an award? Yes. The biggest award I received was a Clio.
There was an episode of Mad Men that recalled my experience. A commercial done by Sterling Cooper is nominated, and even though Peggy believes the original idea was hers and that her contribution should be recognized, she isn't invited to represent the agency at the ceremony.
This very thing happened to me. I not only wasn't sent to the ceremony, I didn't even get a statue. Why would I? I only wrote all the copy.
I did, however, get a copy of the award certificate with my name listed, and the company I worked for back then paid to have it framed. At the time, I was exuberant.
I was passed over not because my contribution wasn't important -- it was vital. I was too junior. And back then, I acted like a girl (instead of a woman) on top of it. While my work was taken seriously, I wasn't.
7. Whats your mousepad look like? Don't use one.
8. How many browser tabs do you have open right now? Five
9. If you are a parent, have you or did you ever put Vicks VapoRub on your children under the age of 2? No kids
10. As an adult, do you like the scent of Vicks VapoRub? Yes
11. If you had to pick one insect to infest your house for 1 day and after that day they would just suddenly vanish, which insect infestation would you pick? I don't really get this question. But I've suffered through stink bugs, drain flies and bed bugs. If I had to choose one, I'll go with stink bugs. They don't bite, They're big enough and move slow enough to make tremendous play things for the cats.
12. What color is your underwear that you are wearing right at this moment? My signature white granny pants.