I believe it's time for a movie TT! Here are the top 13 quotes in cinema history, as proclaimed by the American Film Institute. Click here -- it's the AFI's actual web page and you can hear these iconic words spoken by the performers who made them famous.
13. OLIVER BARRETT IV (Ryan O'Neal): "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Love Story, 1970.
12. LT. COL. BILL KILGORE (Robert Duvall): "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now, 1979.
11. CAPTAIN (Strother Martin): "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke, 1967.
10. TRAVIS BICKLE (Robert DeNiro): "You talkin' to me?" Taxi Driver, 1976.
9. MARGO CHANNING (Bette Davis): "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." All About Eve, 1950.
8. HAN SOLO (Harrison Ford): "May the Force be with you." Star Wars, 1977.
7. NORMA DESMOND (Gloria Swanson): "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Sunset Boulevard, 1950.
6. HARRY CALLAHAN (Clint Eastwood): "Go ahead, make my day." Sudden Impact, 1983.
5. RICK BLAINE (Humphrey Bogart): "Here's looking at you, kid." Casablanca, 1942.
4. DOROTHY GALE (Judy Garland): "Toto, I've (got) a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Wizard of Oz, 1939.
3. TERRY MALLOY (Marlon Brando): "You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." On the Waterfront, 1954.
2. VITO CORLEONE (Marlon Brando): "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather, 1973.
1. RHETT BUTLER (Clark Gable): "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone with the Wind, 1939.
The movie quote I use most often didn't even make the Top 100! I trot this old reliable out whenever I can't make up my mind. The Gal's Personal #1 is …
EVELYN MULWRAY (Faye Dunaway): "My sister, my daughter." Chinatown. 1974.
My second personal favorite slid in at #96 on the official AFI list …
LORETTA CASTORINI (Cher): "Snap out of it!" Moonstruck, 1987.
Leave your TT link in the comments and I'll list you here:
1. Chelle Y lists the great things about being a mom (and Chelle, the girl in Love Story said that line, too)
2. Tinkerbell goes down memory lane, by about 25 years.
3. Malcolm reintroduces us to our breakfast buddies
4. Anthony North takes us to Atlantis
5. Hailey's Mommy shares her husband's cap collection
6. Sue treats us to a little Q&A
7. Hootin Anni has an amusing verbal TT
8. So does Kay!
9. B Boys Mom shares ways to cut down our gas consumption
10. Claudia has a wise TT
11. Susan Helene Gottfried uses her TT to introduce Win a Book
12. Lucy celebrates Spring
13. Angela shares her knowlege of Japanese motorcyle gangs
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants