Wednesday, May 14, 2008

THURSDAY THIRTEEN #67 -- Best Movie Quotes


THE THIRTEEN GREATEST QUOTES IN MOVIE HISTORY

I believe it's time for a movie TT! Here are the top 13 quotes in cinema history, as proclaimed by the American Film Institute. Click here -- it's the AFI's actual web page and you can hear these iconic words spoken by the performers who made them famous.

13. OLIVER BARRETT IV (Ryan O'Neal): "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Love Story, 1970.

12. LT. COL. BILL KILGORE (Robert Duvall): "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now, 1979.

11. CAPTAIN (Strother Martin): "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke, 1967.

10. TRAVIS BICKLE (Robert DeNiro): "You talkin' to me?" Taxi Driver, 1976.

9. MARGO CHANNING (Bette Davis): "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." All About Eve, 1950.

8. HAN SOLO (Harrison Ford): "May the Force be with you." Star Wars, 1977.

7. NORMA DESMOND (Gloria Swanson): "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Sunset Boulevard, 1950.

6. HARRY CALLAHAN (Clint Eastwood): "Go ahead, make my day." Sudden Impact, 1983.

5. RICK BLAINE (Humphrey Bogart): "Here's looking at you, kid." Casablanca, 1942.

4. DOROTHY GALE (Judy Garland): "Toto, I've (got) a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Wizard of Oz, 1939.

3. TERRY MALLOY (Marlon Brando): "You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." On the Waterfront, 1954.

2. VITO CORLEONE (Marlon Brando): "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather, 1973.

1. RHETT BUTLER (Clark Gable): "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone with the Wind, 1939.

The movie quote I use most often didn't even make the Top 100! I trot this old reliable out whenever I can't make up my mind. The Gal's Personal #1 is …
EVELYN MULWRAY (Faye Dunaway): "My sister, my daughter." Chinatown. 1974.

My second personal favorite slid in at #96 on the official AFI list …

LORETTA CASTORINI (Cher): "Snap out of it!" Moonstruck, 1987.


Are there any movie catchphrases that reappear in your conversations?

Leave your TT link in the comments and I'll list you here:
1. Chelle Y lists the great things about being a mom (and Chelle, the girl in Love Story said that line, too)
2. Tinkerbell goes down memory lane, by about 25 years.
3. Malcolm reintroduces us to our breakfast buddies
4. Anthony North takes us to Atlantis
5. Hailey's Mommy shares her husband's cap collection
6. Sue treats us to a little Q&A
7. Hootin Anni has an amusing verbal TT
8. So does Kay!
9. B Boys Mom shares ways to cut down our gas consumption
10. Claudia has a wise TT
11. Susan Helene Gottfried uses her TT to introduce Win a Book
12. Lucy celebrates Spring
13. Angela shares her knowlege of Japanese motorcyle gangs
14.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



33 comments:

  1. All these years, and I thought it was the girl who said that quote in, "The Love Story."

    Great list!

    http://www.chelleyoung.com/index.php/archive/thursday-thirteen-109-thirteen-things-wonderful-things-about-being-a-mom/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real classic quotes!!! I've bookmarked the AFI-website.
    Thanks for visiting my 80's TT! Btw, feel free to use the banner if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and some of my friends will quote "Cool Hand Luke" on a regular basis. "The Sweet Smell of Success" and "Glengarry Glen Ross" are two other movies that me and some of my family members riff on quite a bit.

    Beat ya again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Loretta Castorini quote. One of my favorite movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some marvellous ones there. I can picture most of them now. Magical moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love #8. I'm a big Star Wars Fan. Happy TT!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! Especially #4 which I use quite frequently myself :)

    Happy TT and have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think one I use a lot would be "You want the truth? ---You can't HANDLE the truth".
    ~A Few Good Men
    Jack Nicholson.

    I LOVE MOVIES. I can't wait for the next Indiana Jones on May 22nd.


    My T-13 is shared. Drop by and help me list MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list. I knew all of those. Another favorite of ours, from Raising Arizona, is "H.I., you're young, your got your health, what you want with a job?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had heard them all but some I didn't know the movie it came from. Good TT! Have a Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:06 PM

    One of my favorite lines from a movie is from Bladerunner, "I don't know how long you'll have. But then no one does." ;)

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Kill him a lot." -- Buffy. That was actually from Paul Reubens' character.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a GREAT Idea! I loved all of these movies and quotes! We just re-watched All about eve last week!
    A silly one I say is from Rocky when he says "cut me Mick".. I said that to my obstetrician during the delivery of my son.. but ONLY my husband laughed!
    We say #4 VERY often!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:02 PM

    LOL. I love #12. :) Although I also like #1 and 2....dilemma. ;)

    My Thursday Thirteen is up. 13 things I learned about Japanese motorcycle gangs ;) Ah the joy of ex-pat life~

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun list! What we owe Hollywood. Who could talk w ithout it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen about half of those movies. Looks like I need to get myself some of those others.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list. Some of them brought back memories:) Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:52 PM

    The one I use a lot is from 1776 (and John Adams before that)

    One useless man is a disgrace. Two become a law firm and three or more become a congress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are great and I love that you have a lot of funny ones mixed in.

    Our favorites are from the bad Arnold Schwarzenegger movies out there. Last week, three of us all told a kid that "It's not a tumor".

    Boy, you could really do this 13 many times over with different quotes. No 13 this week for me. Glad to hear that your mother is home. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I loved Love Story. It always made me cry.
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I ADORE the Love Story quote!! Another favorite I have is, "You Had Me At Hello".

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorites are never on these lists!!

    Course, most of my favorites are from cheesy 80s movies, so that could explain it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My husband constantly quote movies...and his fave of all time is "You can't handle the truth" from A Few Good Men.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  24. # 11 is the story of my life lol not really, but I like it

    ReplyDelete
  25. What?! No "yippee-ki-ay"?

    I'm disappointed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great List!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love number 5 just because it's from one of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous4:46 PM

    Thanks for sharing you list with us, and thanks for the idea - I even made a TT quotes list of my own. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous4:47 PM

    Aghhh!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great quotes. I recognized most of them - even those that I hadn't seen the actual movie!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great list...I LOVE movie quotes!

    Stop by and see mine when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yeah, when I hear the Love Story quote in my mind, I hear the girl :) BUt all those quotes we really do remember hearing huh? Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy belated T13. I'm soo bad fornot following.

    Thanks for what you told me yesterday

    hugs

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.