1) Homecoming and football make this an important time of year for cheerleaders. Were you a cheerleader, or did you date one? Ha! I don't think I ever even spoke to one. In high school I was into Sylvia Plath and Ms magazine, not "pep."
2) Beyond cheerleaders and the big game, homecoming is a time for parades. Have you ever ridden on a float? No. See above.
3) OMI sings that his girl is always there when he needs her. Who do you know you can always count on? I would say my oldest friend. But she's dealing with a lot of her own shit right now. So if something catastrophic went down, I'd turn to John. We've been through a lot together, too, and we're very comfortable together. That no-drama ease would help chill me through a rough patch.
5) In the lyrics we hear that his cheerleader girlfriend is "like a genie in a bottle." Who would rather hang around with? Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie or Samantha from Bewitched? Definitely Sam. Jeannie was such an airhead. Plus, I'm in advertising and Sam had so much experience helping Darrin develop campaigns. I think she'd be a valuable friend to have.
6) OMI is from Jamaica. Have you ever visited that island country? Nope.
8) Queen Elizabeth is Jamaica's head of state. Her Majesty is now 89 years old and a great grandmother. Who is the oldest person in your life? My Aunt Jo (my dad's side of the family) just turned 70. My Cousin Rose (my mom's side) will be turning 70 in February. So 70 is the age!
9) Her Majesty was named Elizabeth Alexandra Mary after three of her relatives, who also were queens. Were you named after anyone? No.