Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is about a woman waiting impatiently for a phone call. Do you consider yourself patient? No. As my friend John tells me, "Patience is your demon."
2) Other women (most notably Shirley Bassey and Dottie West) have recorded this song. Harry James and Doc Severinson did instrumental versions. But there's no record of a male singing "Oh dear God! It must be her! Or I shall die!" Do you think that's because waiting for the phone to ring is more "a chick thing," and men simply don't do it? I think they don't admit it, much less sing about it at the top of their lungs.
3) This recording enjoyed a sudden surge of popularity after 20 years when it was included on the soundtrack of Moonstruck, the 1987 film that won Cher an Oscar. Have you seen Moonstruck? Several times. So romantic!
4) This week's featured artist, Vikki Carr, was born in El Paso, TX. El Paso can proudly proclaim itself one of America's safest cities. What can your hometown be proud of? You mean, other than me?
5) She was a staple on Jerry Lewis' Labor Day Telethon, raising funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association by performing this song. Is your TV on right now? If so, what are you watching? It's not on. I was listening to Vikki sing her heart out on YouTube.