Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This 1980 video depicts Olivia Newton-John as a performer in small club. For the past few years, she's been performing regularly at the Flamingo in Las Vegas. Have you ever been to Las Vegas? Oh, many times. It's such a great value for booze and food and glitz and people watching. I'm going back this November to celebrate my 60th birthday in this delightfully ridiculous building.
|The New York, New York Hotel and Casino|
2) Many tourists who want to get away from the glitz of Vegas travel less than 20 miles to visit Red Rock Canyon. This national park is known for its hiking trails, which provide a view of the desert flora and red rock peaks. Tell us about a time you were impressed by natural beauty. Every time I look out onto Lake Michigan, I'm like the Grinch. I feel my heart grow just a wee bit. It's a great Great Lake.
3) One of the best-reviewed restaurants in Las Vegas is Andiamo Italian Steak House. When you order a steak, how do you request it be cooked: rare, medium rare, medium, medium well or well done? Medium well.
4) Olivia Newton-John's father was an officer in MI5, the UK's secret service. Sam's most recent encounter with the law didn't have much drama or intrigue: she asked a cop for directions to the highway. Tell us about the last time you spoke to an officer of the law. Thursday evening I was informally questioned by a police officer about the disappearance of my a neighbor with dementia. She's still missing, which makes me sad.
5) ONJ was awarded the OBE -- Order of the British Empire -- by Queen Elizabeth in honor of her contributions to the arts. Here's your opportunity to boast. What is something you've done lately that you received praise for? Being fun and funny. We had layoffs this past week, and a coworker who sat next to me all day/every day really misses me because I was fun to be around.
6) A breast cancer survivor, Olivia helped found a cancer center in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia. When you think of Australia, what comes to mind? Kangaroos.
7) "Magic" was one of the top-selling records of 1980. Also that year, Post-It notes debuted. Do you enjoy shopping for office supplies, or do you consider it a chore? Yes! I don't know why, but I love wandering those aisles, looking at pencil sharpeners and binder clips.
8) In 1980, the NASA space probe returned the first photos of Saturn back to earth. Do you believe intelligent life forms from other planets are trying to learn more about us? I believe it. But I don't think of it much and don't really care. I like this planet.
9) Random question: Are you more confident in your looks or your intelligence? My smarts.