These are the thoughts and observations of me — a woman of a certain age. (Oh, my, God, I'm 60!) I'm single. I'm successful enough (independent, self supporting). I live in the burbs and work in the city (Chicago, the best city in the world). I'm an aunt, a friend and a colleague. I feel that voices like mine are rather underrepresented online or in print. So here I am. If my musings resonate with you, please visit my blog again sometime.
Up in the Air is smart and sexy and funny and very believable -- even with a rather daring plot twist toward the end. George Clooney plays a grown up, which bodes well for a long and graceful career (meaning he doesn't embarrass himself by wooing women half his age the way Jack Nicholson did).
Since so much of this movie is about downsizing, and what a profitable industry it can be for some, be sure you're emotionally prepared to see firings onscreen. Really. I imagine that if this movie came out a year ago, when I expected to be fired every other Monday, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.
On the other hand, watching it reinforces why when earlier in this decade, as three people who worked for me were let go, I'm glad I insisted on being there. There is a dignity to handling it correctly, and a kindness to letting employees vent their anger to your face. I believe it makes it easier for them to move on.
1. What did you think of 2009? It was better than I thought it would be, but it still kinda sucked.
2. What do you think was the news story of the year? Barack Obama's inaugural.
3. What happened this year that you never want to hear another word about? TIGER WOODS!
4. What was your favorite song of 2009? "My Life Would Suck without You" by Kelly Clarkson
5. What did you accomplish this year? It's all health-related. I have a work-out regimen now (not that you can prove it by my behavior since Thanksgiving) and I have my complexion under control.
6. Did you learn anything new this year? Lots of little things related to #5.
7. What are you looking forward to in the new year? A bit more tranquility.
8. What are your plans for New Year's Eve? I don't know yet. I'l be in Key West, and will just go with the flow.
9. What's the best thing you ever did on a New Year's Eve? I was in a new relationship, that really "hot" phase. So we made out, went to dinner at a comedy club, came home, made love, messed around on the futon while watching a Bogart-Bacall movie ...