1) This song is about doing what it takes to win. What's the most recent competition you won? (Yes, online solitaire counts.) It was probably an online game of canasta. I'm pretty good, if I do say so myself.
2) The lyrics tell us to "go ahead and put your bets on me." Do you often play games of chance -- like the office football pool, or slot machines, or the lottery? I spend $2/week on the Illinois State Lottery. Then I fantasize for days about what I'd do with my winnings.
3) The video includes footage of young people competing in The Special Olympics. What's your favorite sport to watch? Is it the same sport you most enjoying playing? I love watching baseball. I'm no good at it, though.
4) This week's featured artist, Carrie Underwood, first came to America's attention when she won on American Idol. Prior to competing on that show, she'd never been on an airplane. How old were you when you took your first flight? 17.
5) Carrie loves horror and her favorite author is Stephen King. What book are you currently reading? Still Life by Louise Penny.
6) Carrie's duet partner on "The Champion" is rapper Ludacris. In addition to making music, he acts and has appeared in one Sam's favorite shows, Law & Order: SVU. What's your favorite "cop show?" Law & Order, either the original or SVU -- but only when Elliott was on.
|Law & Order, with my favorite cast|
|Elliott and Liv on SVU|
7) Ludacris is a distant cousin of comedian Richard Pryor. Have you studied your family's genealogy? Nah.
8) Soccer was a big deal in 2018, the year this song was released. According to Google, "FIFA World Cup" was the news story that generated the most internet searches. What's the last thing you "googled?" Law & Order, to get the photos.
9) Random question: You're battling the flu. The doctor advises you to stay in bed a full five days. As you begin feeling better (around Day 3), do you continue to follow doctor's orders? Or do you get up and start moving before you're supposed to? I'd get bored, move around too much, and then collapse back into bed.