OF MY FAVORITE THINGS
It’s no secret that I love The Sound of Music. But I just don’t like raindrops on roses. Roses lose their petals too quickly and have thorns. Bright copper kettles mean nothing to me. The USPS won’t even accept a brown paper package tied up with strings anymore. So thinking of that stuff when the dog bites or the bee stings doesn't really help. Instead, here are a few of my very own “favorite things” …
1. Blue. My favorite color. Cobalt, aqua, navy, robin’s egg … I love them all. Denim is my favorite-most favorite.
2. Eggs benedict. My favorite breakfast. To order at a restaurant, of course. It's too much work to prepare myself.
3. Okapi. My favorite zoo critter. Imagine a giraffe with a short neck and a soft, shiny coat.
4. Office supplies. I love my pens and pencils and pencil sharpener and personalized notepads.
5. A cat’s purr. The most comforting sound there is. Especially from the throat of my big old fatcat, Joey. He tries to meow and purr at the same time and it sounds like a gargle. Too cute!
6. “I Don’t Break Easily.” My favorite Barbra Streisand song that was never a hit. (It’s on her “Songbird” album, if you want to check it out for yourself.)
7. The Cubs starting infield, ca 1969. Ernie Banks, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger and Ron Santo. I grew up on these guys and, for me, they will always personify fielding excellence.
8. Shea Body Butter. My favorite moisturizer is luxurious, thick and almost fragrance free. Available at The Body Shop.
9. Bruce Springsteen. My favorite concert performer. Ever.
10. The Law & Order cast, ca. 1995. In the courtroom: Adam Schiff, Jack McCoy, and Claire Kincaid. On the streets: Lt. Van Buren, Rey Curtis (I even named my cat after him) and, of course, Lennie Briscoe. I’m always happy when a rerun comes on and it’s this lineup.
11. The manicotti at La Cantina. Manicotti is a good comfort food under any circumstances, but OMG! Does this restaurant do it great or what?
12. MSNBC. If you really want your news “fair and balanced,” you should watch the newschannel that gives a daily platform to everyone from Tucker Carlson and Joe Scarborough to Keith Olberman. I positively gorge myself on the divergent opinions. Oh, and I have a crush on Dan Abrams.
13. The Slowskys. The commercials with these Comcast turtles always make me smile. Bill and Karolyn, you’re my favorite married couple.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1.Ellen B has an uplifting post about friendship
2. Nap Warden serves up a delicious but high-cal TT
3. Forgetfulone takes us on a lovely trip into reruns
4. Sandee has 13 provocative thoughts
5. Nicole completely cracked me with her cowboy TT
6. Holly offers up 13 movies she can watch and watch and watch …
7. Malcolm lists the 13 best B sides of all time (including one of my faves)
8. Greatfullivin explains where our words come from
9. Nicholas celebrates his 100th TT with a list of DVDs
10. Impworks takes us "bird watching," and it's hilarious
11. Susan Helene Gottfried lets Kerri Voss share her observations of fall
12. Susie J has a unique culinary TT
13. No Nonsense Girl doesn't have a TT this week (or does she?)
14. Heather was busy today with these 13 things
15. Celebrate with Lori and wish her a happy birthday!
16. Joyismygoal takes us down on the farm
17. Harlekwin, who created that gorgeous banner you see above, wishes to celebrate some highly inventive holidays
18. Sorry, SJ, but I just couldn't find your TT. Here's a link to SJ's site.
19. Candyminx has the coolest TT ever!
20. Xakara teases us with compelling quotes from her work in progress
21. Yen takes us along as she remembers her childhood
22. Secret Agent Mama spills the beans on beans
23. Raggedy has a TT that every cat wants you to read and commit to memory
24. Maria's TT is important for flu season
25. Gabriella doesn't have a new TT this week, but if you're feeling brave, check out last week's Halloween/scary movie list
26. Mo's TT shines the spotlight on her favorite authors
27. Paige passionately rants
28. Carrie Lofty lists 13 favorite recipes inherited from Mom
29. Ann Aguirre is very excited about her new collaborator
30. Vixen has a TT about her blog that's interesting and creative.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants