Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #40 -- With apologies to Julie Andrews …


THESE ARE THIRTEEN

OF MY FAVORITE THINGS


It’s no secret that I love The Sound of Music. But I just don’t like raindrops on roses. Roses lose their petals too quickly and have thorns. Bright copper kettles mean nothing to me. The USPS won’t even accept a brown paper package tied up with strings anymore. So thinking of that stuff when the dog bites or the bee stings doesn't really help. Instead, here are a few of my very own “favorite things” …

1. Blue. My favorite color. Cobalt, aqua, navy, robin’s egg … I love them all. Denim is my favorite-most favorite.

2. Eggs benedict. My favorite breakfast. To order at a restaurant, of course. It's too much work to prepare myself.

3. Okapi. My favorite zoo critter. Imagine a giraffe with a short neck and a soft, shiny coat.

4. Office supplies. I love my pens and pencils and pencil sharpener and personalized notepads.

5. A cat’s purr. The most comforting sound there is. Especially from the throat of my big old fatcat, Joey. He tries to meow and purr at the same time and it sounds like a gargle. Too cute!

6. “I Don’t Break Easily.” My favorite Barbra Streisand song that was never a hit. (It’s on her “Songbird” album, if you want to check it out for yourself.)

7. The Cubs starting infield, ca 1969. Ernie Banks, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger and Ron Santo. I grew up on these guys and, for me, they will always personify fielding excellence.

8. Shea Body Butter. My favorite moisturizer is luxurious, thick and almost fragrance free. Available at The Body Shop.

9. Bruce Springsteen. My favorite concert performer. Ever.

10. The Law & Order cast, ca. 1995. In the courtroom: Adam Schiff, Jack McCoy, and Claire Kincaid. On the streets: Lt. Van Buren, Rey Curtis (I even named my cat after him) and, of course, Lennie Briscoe. I’m always happy when a rerun comes on and it’s this lineup.

11. The manicotti at La Cantina. Manicotti is a good comfort food under any circumstances, but OMG! Does this restaurant do it great or what?

12. MSNBC. If you really want your news “fair and balanced,” you should watch the newschannel that gives a daily platform to everyone from Tucker Carlson and Joe Scarborough to Keith Olberman. I positively gorge myself on the divergent opinions. Oh, and I have a crush on Dan Abrams.

13. The Slowskys. The commercials with these Comcast turtles always make me smile. Bill and Karolyn, you’re my favorite married couple.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1.Ellen B has an uplifting post about friendship

2. Nap Warden serves up a delicious but high-cal TT

3. Forgetfulone takes us on a lovely trip into reruns

4. Sandee has 13 provocative thoughts

5. Nicole completely cracked me with her cowboy TT

6. Holly offers up 13 movies she can watch and watch and watch …

7. Malcolm lists the 13 best B sides of all time (including one of my faves)

8. Greatfullivin explains where our words come from

9. Nicholas celebrates his 100th TT with a list of DVDs

10. Impworks takes us "bird watching," and it's hilarious

11. Susan Helene Gottfried lets Kerri Voss share her observations of fall

12. Susie J has a unique culinary TT

13. No Nonsense Girl doesn't have a TT this week (or does she?)

14. Heather was busy today with these 13 things

15. Celebrate with Lori and wish her a happy birthday!

16. Joyismygoal takes us down on the farm

17. Harlekwin, who created that gorgeous banner you see above, wishes to celebrate some highly inventive holidays

18. Sorry, SJ, but I just couldn't find your TT. Here's a link to SJ's site.

19. Candyminx has the coolest TT ever!

20. Xakara teases us with compelling quotes from her work in progress

21. Yen takes us along as she remembers her childhood

22. Secret Agent Mama spills the beans on beans

23. Raggedy has a TT that every cat wants you to read and commit to memory

24. Maria's TT is important for flu season

25. Gabriella doesn't have a new TT this week, but if you're feeling brave, check out last week's Halloween/scary movie list

26. Mo's TT shines the spotlight on her favorite authors

27. Paige passionately rants

28. Carrie Lofty lists 13 favorite recipes inherited from Mom

29. Ann Aguirre is very excited about her new collaborator

30. Vixen has a TT about her blog that's interesting and creative.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!



The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


37 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:57 PM

    Great idea for a TT. I'd love some eggs benedict right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. #10, I love me some Law & Order...all about Jack McCoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggs Benedict and office supplies! I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love eggs benedict. It is my fave too. Great list. Have a great TT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Great list! Eggs benedict...yum. :D

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely #2 and #5. I go out for Eggs Benedict all the time (well maybe not all the time but at least once a month...) I miss kitty purrs!

    Smiles,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw Barbra Streisand on your list, it made me think of what you said about her song "The Main Event", lol. Although I don't watch "Law and Order" alot, I do enjoy it when I do watch.

    Thanks for stopping by my TT. Did you download Bruce Springsteen's "Stand On It" from my post or are you going to dig through your old 45s?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:54 PM

    You have wonderful taste in favorite things. The cubbies infield '69. When I was a kid we waited in line ( it seemed like forever ) for Ernie Banks autograph! great list, Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:56 PM

    Blue is my fave colour too. I love pottering around in office supply stores, looking at all the different things available, even if I have no need of them. For news, though, I always head to BBC America.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blues my favourite colour too

    Great TT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! But... it doesn't rhyme like the song does.

    Can't have it all, huh?

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:51 PM

    I'd like to have the eggs too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. #9? Couldn't agree more.

    My favorite non-Babs hit is the theme to "For Pete's Sake." I probably shouldn't admit that out loud, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. as always I love your posts!!!! I love Law and Order and the sound of music!!! :)

    Happy TT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, these were all so great and fun to read. Eggs benedict? Oh my appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:03 PM

    Interesting list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list...you'd love eggs Laguna. Its like eggs benedict only with filet mignon (spellin?)..its yummy. Happy TT my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://joyismygoal.blogspot.com/
    I love the Movie and song fun list

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:13 PM

    Hey gal,
    "Office supplies...yes...yes..." she said like Igor, rubbing her hands together. And a cat's purr...and the 69 Cubs...and...hey, did you steal my list?
    your ol' pal

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never had Eggs Benedict *gasp* I'll have to order it next time I'm out for breakfast to see what all the excitement's about!

    Office supplies... oh yeah. My heart starts to pound and my hands start to twitch whenever I get too close to Staples. My favorite office supply... 3x5 index cards. No, seriously, they rock and mechanical pencils.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am impressed with #7. Remember Glenn Beckhart (spelling wrong) and the Black Cat in 1969?

    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh good list! I am a Law and Order freak...and I liked the idea of your favourite cast. I liked Micael Moriarty a lot...but I still miss Adam Shiff to this day. I'm looking forward tos eeing how Waterston does as DA...but the season doesn't seem to start until 2008. But I am IN LOVE with Bobby Goren from Criminal Intent.

    What a fun post on so many leels...great to run into on TT...and here is my list:

    http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2007/11/pop-stars-and-sunglasses.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous3:29 AM

    Office supplies, shea body butter and various shades of blue...we could hang out. *nod*

    ~X

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous4:17 AM

    I love that #6 too! Great TT :)

    Mine is up here;
    Thursday Thirteen
    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous6:08 AM

    Now I crave some Eggs Benedict. I think I might have to make some on Sunday morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Put me down for some Eggs Benedict!
    Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
    My TT is posted.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Happy TT'ing!
    *^_^
    (=':'=)
    (")_ (")Š
    Raggedy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this list! You're the second person that wrote about their love of office supplies this Thursday, LOL.

    Hop on over to mine if you'd like to get added to my TT blogroll (and you can check out my 13 immunity-boosters for the cold and flu season).

    Maria
    www.jubileeonearth.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous7:15 AM

    Ooooh, I haven't had eggs benedict in years. I wonder if I could figure out how to make them and how many calories would I be consuming. *sigh* Probably too many if I have to ask. ;-)

    Great TT.

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a great idea for a TT - I may just have to steal it from ya, down the line!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I got nothing this week, worked a double yesterday and tried, but then had to clean my hard drive up due to space issues.

    Bruce...did I not know this about you already? He is awesome in concert!!

    Great idea for a list, now can you sing it with Julie?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love office supplies! Nothing can beat a great pen! Great list, Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I set my first manuscript in Salzburg and claimed repeated viewings of The Sound of Music as research :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. My husband adores eggs benedict. I should probably learn how to make it for him, but so far, I haven't. Maybe for our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yep - Manicotti should be on any list of good things - fun list. See ya.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I learned something new today.

    :-D

    I've never heard of Okapi. The giraffe is one of my favorite animals... hmmm... must google it...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous5:12 PM

    What a great list. I was struggling to come up with a theme this week, and I am sure next week I will also, so I may steal this idea!

    Happy TT

    http://vixensden.wordpress.com/2007/11/08/thursday-thirteen-18/

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.