This blog serves as my well organized journal and has enabled me to look over the past year and savour the highlights.
1. My mom’s health. She gave us a pair of serious health scares in 2006, but her health has held steady this year. Which is great news, because she's still my mommy.
2. My cats. All three of them are healthy and happy. These are my babies, and I'm grateful that they're fine.
3. The 2007 NL Central Division Champion Chicago Cubs. What an amazing season! What a terrific cast of characters! These guys were a gas and a giggle and spring can't get here fast enough.
4. Elizabeth Edwards’ book. This book had a tremendous impact on me. Her unflinching honesty and her willingness to face and share her pain … how she embraces others when she needs help … Maybe I just picked up this book at a time in my life when I was receptive to her message, but I know I'm a different woman now than I was when I began it.
5. My three mini-getaways. I got away more than once this year, each trip for just a few days at a time, and all three trips left me feeling rejuvenated. I just got back from Key West, in November I visited Lincoln's Springfield, and in the spring I went to Chateau Elan. I recommend all three destinations to everyone!
6. Greg Maddux finds a home with the Padres. He's got a contract to play another year and in the NL, too!
7. Senators Clinton, Obama and Edwards. As I write this, the Iowa caucus hasn't happened yet. If I was a caucus goer, I'm not sure which one I'd support. But I do know this: I could proudly cast my vote for any of these three. (Biden, too.) It's a good and hopeful time to be a Democrat. I feel optimistic for my country again.
8. Getting my health in order (somewhat). OK, so I look like a fat pigeon. But there is still a bright side: My anti-depressants are working, my skin is finally clear, my teeth and gums are in good shape, and my cholesterol is in line.
9. Waitress. Last year it was Little Mary Sunshine. This year the “little” movie that captured my heart was Waitress. It’s out on DVD. Rent it!
10. Memory Almost Full and Magic. Two of my all-time favorite artists came out with personal and introspective new music this year. For me, the highlight of Paul McCartney's CD was "That Was Me." And the Boss touched me with "Long Walk Home."
11. Jersey Boys. This multi Tony winner deserves all the awards and praise it's received. For all that I know of The Four Seasons' songs, I knew nothing of their colorful and very dramatic beginnings. It's both gritty and glitzy and very well staged. If you can get a ticket, GO!
12. Good friends. This is the family I chose. I adore each and every one of them, and I realize -- and am grateful for -- each time they've kept me afloat in 2007.
13. All that this blog brought me. I feel like a real member of the blogosphere, and want to thank all of you who visit often, listen, comment and send positive wishes my way. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants