Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"That Was Me"


I'm listening to Paul's new CD, Memory Almost Full, and I'm impressed. (Believe it or not, I'm not always impressed. I mean, even I knew "Ebony and Ivory" was crap.)

This is only my second time through the entire thing, but so far my favorite is "That Was Me." It's a legitimate old-time rocker about a legitimate old-time rocker looking back on his life and career. While it's not a self-congratulatory song, it is a self-aware one. His voice gets more raw as he sings that he can't believe that the guy who did all that is the same guy that's (still) singing now, and I believe his "well-waddaya-know" wonder. It's one of those rare songs that manages to be both profound and ... well ... fun.

Nicely done, Sir Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.