Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I think I'll settle for simply rich


Yes, I have loved Paul McCartney since I was 6. Once I understood what my virginity was, I dreamt of losing it to him. I know just about every song. I have read just about every word. I have seen every concert I could afford. Loving Paul has been my life avocation.

But I know our "relationship" is completely one-sided. When I say I'm going to be Lady Mac, I know that's not true. I know Paul doesn't know who I am. I am smart and cynical enough to know I never want to meet him because nobody could live up to 40+ years of foreplay. (Quick Quiz: On what golden oldie can you hear the words, "Oh no, not me. I'm not ready for that last disappointment?")

That said, I have met McCartney fans whose grasp on reality is more tenuous than mine.

One of them works here. We both picked up his new CD yesterday, and she's been in here just about every half hour to discuss another aspect of it. She flew to England expressly to attend the premiere of his classical music piece. She sent him a letter asking him to invest in her new small business venture, and was upset he never answered.

Another one spent Christmas morning IM-ing with Paul's son James. So she says. She is convinced it was really James because she kept peppering him with questions "only Paul could answer." Never mind that she doesn't know him and she could answer them.

I wonder what it's like to inspire such passion in complete strangers. It's definitely the downside of fame. I imagine it would be creepy. Paul's been famous more than half his life, so maybe he doesn't notice it anymore. But I'm not so sure he can afford to. After all,

• John Lennon was murdered by a stalker fan
• Cubs first baseman Eddie Waitkus was plugged by fan who loved him and believed he wanted to be traded to the Phillies (this story inspired The Natural)
• Rebecca Shaeffer of My Sister Sam opened her front door to be shot by a fan

When you consider the crazies, somehow "rich and famous" doesn't sound like that much fun. I think I'll settle for simply rich.

1 comment:

  1. this is a phenomenon ("the fanantic fan") that I ponder often, myself...I have a difficult enough time remembering my BIL's birthday, let alone that of a complete stranger - I guess I just don't find anyone interesting enough to stalk them! LoL.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.