Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This week's song is the theme from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, a sitcom that originally aired from 1970 to 1977. Were you a fan? Yes!
2) The song tells us that Mary Richards can turn the world on with her smile. Yet the real-life Mary Tyler Moore said she was uncomfortable with her "wide mouth." If you could improve on one of your facial features, which would you choose? My chin. Or should I say "chins," since therein lies the problem.
3) We also hear that Mary can "take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile." What do you think makes a day "a nothing day?" Stress. Other people's drama can take a good day and turn it into a nothing day. Wish Mary would show up, smile, and ratchet it back to good day.
4) Mary works in the newsroom at WJM. Her desk is neat as a pin. Are you neat? Or do you lean to the sloppy side?
|That's me on the left.|
5) Mary's best friend, Rhoda, worked as a window dresser at Hempel's department store. What department store did you most recently shop at? What did you buy? I bought Bliss moisturizer, a pullover and a Totes umbrella at Kohl's last month. There's a light fixture waiting for me to pick up at Sears.
6) Mary Richards lived in Minneapolis. What city is nearest to where you are right now?
7) Originally the part of Mary Richards was written as a divorcee, but in 1970, there were no TV shows that centered around a divorced woman. Think about the women in your life. Are most of them married, divorced, single or widowed? I counted off the seven women I see most often: 3 wives, 1 widow, 3 divorcees.
8) The MTM production company logo featured a mewing kitten. The cat was found in a Minneapolis shelter, and, after her sequence was shot, she was adopted by a crew member who named her Mimsie. What's the name of the last cat -- or dog or hamster or rabbit -- that you petted? Reynaldo, my cat. He cannot be petted too often.
9) Random question -- Would you rather have a job that kept you seated on your fanny or standing on your feet? On my butt.