Saturday 9: I'm Gonna Put Some Glue 'Round the Christmas Tree (So Santa Will Stick Around All Year) (1954)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This week's featured songstress, Peggy King, sings that she'd like to extend the Christmas season all year. How about you? Do you wish the season was longer? Shorter? Or do you think things are fine as they are? "Peace on Earth, and mercy mild. God and sinner reconciled." What's not to love? I wish the spirit of the season lasted longer, like forever.
2) She specifically mentions toys. Have you purchased/will you purchase any toys as holiday gifts this year? I don't have any little ones on my holiday list anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't give toys. I encourage everyone to make like Doris Day and make Christmas merrier for kids in need. You'll find that imagining some child getting your gift is a great moodlifter!
|Click here for more about Toys for Tots|
3) Search for "glue" on The Home Depot's website and you'll get more than 3,000 results. There's heavy-duty adhesives, all-purpose glue, clear epoxy, wood glue, and more. Do you currently have glue in your home? If yes, how many kinds? Three. I have plain old Elmer's, Titebond Wood Glue and then some Gorilla Glue.
4) What's the last thing you used glue for? I don't remember, but I have to use the wood glue again to stick that ornamental thing back on my bedframe. And damn, I'm gonna do that this weekend. Honest, I am.
5) This week's featured artist, Peggy King, was a TV staple in the 1950s. With her perpetually upbeat persona, she was known as "Pretty, Perky Peggy King." Do you consider yourself upbeat, aka "perky?" God help me, I've been told I am. I had lunch with a client on Wednesday who referred to me as "effervescent and enthusiastic." It's funny how one person's "effervescent and enthusiastic" is another person's "loud and pushy."
6) Ms. King got her start singing radio jingles for Hunt's tomato sauce. Prepared tomato sauce, properly stored, can safely be kept in the refrigerator for days. Do you have any leftovers in your refrigerator right now? Yeah. I have a teeny tiny piece of salmon that I really should toss.
7) Her biggest movie role was in Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955). Do you watch scary movies and shows all year around? Only at Halloween? Or not at all? I'm usually up for some good Hitchcock, but other than that, I really don't do horror.
8) In 1954, the year this record was released, President Eisenhower dedicated the Marine Corps. Iwo Jima Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery, just outside of Washington DC. If you were to play tourist in our nation's capital, what site would you be certain to visit?
|Isn't he just something?|
9) Random question: Which of these common household items would you miss most if it suddenly went on the fritz -- your bedside lamp or your hair dryer? Hair dryer.