Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #42 -- The Secret Word Is Groucho


THIRTEEN OF MY FAVORITE
MARXISMS

Since Thursday is Thanksgiving, let me give thanks for film, kinescopes and videotape. Without the magic of media, I couldn't be as familiar with Groucho Marx. What a loss that would be, because everything about the man cracks me up. His silly, painted-on mustache. The stooped walk. His wonderful, goofy songs (Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Hello I Must Be Going, Hooray for Captain Spaulding). His timing and delivery. Even the names of his movie characters: Hugo Z. Hackenbush, Rufus T. Firefly, Otis B. Driftwood.

Here are 13 of his quotes. As you read these lines, imagine them spoken as only Groucho could.

1. If you want to see a comic strip, watch me take a shower.

2. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

3. Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read anyway.

4. Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. And how he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.

5. Don’t gulp that poison! It’s $4 a bottle!

6. Any man who can see through women is missing a lot.

7. I don’t want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.

8. I have here an accident policy that will absolutely protect you no matter what happens. If you lose a leg, we'll help you look for it.

9. I intend to live forever or die trying.

10. I’ve known and respected your husband for many years – and if you’re good enough for him, you’re good enough for me!

11. Here’s to our wives and our girlfriends … May they never meet!

12. I could dance with you until the cows came home. On second thought, I’d rather dance with the cows until you came home.

13. I wish you’d keep my hands to yourself.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Holly recommends drinking mimosas and 12 other non-football endeavors for Thanksgiving.

2. Susie J takes us into the kitchen and shares the secret to really great cornbread

3. Ellen b sings the praises of New York

4. Tink fills us in with 13 facts about her life today

5. SJ introduces us to 13 of her ancestors

6. Nicholas returns to his bookshelf with his TT

7. Yuriko shares 13 Thanksgiving wishes

8. Lori has a thankful TT this week

9. Get to know Ms. Nononsense a bit better through her TT

10. Susan Helene shares Thanksgiving lore from her town of Riverview

11. Janet has a dreamy Thanksgiving menu

12. Shesawriter has a literary TT

13. Fresh Girl pauses to be thankful with her TT

14. Wacky Mommy shares "a little about us."

15. Grace lists 13 momentous events that happened on 11/22 -- her birthday!

16. Sassy Lucy is thankful today, and here's why

17. Amy's TT is a how-to about reaching your goals

18. Geek Betty is a thankful one, but from her one-of-a-kind POV

19. Adelle's TT is filled with fascinating facts

20. Aline PROVES she exists!

21. Di shares her iPod playlist with us.

22. See why Leslie enjoys Fall

23. I Am the Diva is suspicious, and here's why

24. Harlekwin's TT is beautiful

25. Denise introduces us to 13 fascinating characters

26. Tina Kubala is thankful, and here's why

27. Damozel gives us 13 profiles in courage

28. DriverAA is thankful, too, and shares 13 reasons



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


38 comments:

  1. Good ol' Groucho! I love older humor like that. Hmmm, I've not seen a Marx Brothers movie for awhile...maybe it's time

    Smiles,
    Holly
    http://theabundanceplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:29 PM

    "Say the magic word and collect $100."

    Oh how I used to love watching "You Bet Your Life" - old and in black and white, of course. Once in a while, I can still catch it on PBS. I haven't seen many of the Marx Brothers movies, but his quiz show was always good for a lot of laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:56 PM

    What a great way to spend Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:13 PM

    Brings back some memories...
    Happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quotes by a very funny man, thanks for sharing. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I have a random TT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member!

    I love Groucho!

    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hey everyone - Thanksgiving this year falls on Laurie's birthday!

    Smiles,
    Holly
    http://theabundanceplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:55 PM

    Sitting in a restaurant with Margaret Dumont and the waiter brigs the bill. "Thirty dollars? If I were you I'd refuse to pay!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever TT! :) Happy Turkey day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LMAO....great list:) Happy TT my friend and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list...I hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving:) Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's a cool TT!!!! Happy thanksgiving!!!!ccb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aah, Groucho. A true original; you're right: the world would not be the same if he'd never been in it.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I loved Groucho...but I loved his brother Harpo even more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always love Groucho! Heck, I adore all the Marx brothers. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to have to share this with my dad -- he loves Groucho Marx and I used to watch old reruns with him when I was a little girl. :)

    Happy Thanksgiving, Gal! Oh, and Happy Birthday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:46 PM

    Those were good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:02 AM

    I love Groucho! Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous12:03 AM

    These are all good humor! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the Marxisms, nothing like some good Marx Brothers too give you a hearty laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous5:07 AM

    That is soo funny. Had me laughing out loud! I have the one 'inside of a dog' on a bookmark once, but I lost it :-( I'll need to try and get another, as it's such a brilliant line.
    Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous7:46 AM

    I'll be honest, I've never read or seen much about Groucho. These quotes were funny though :). Happy thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Talk about a trip down memory lane. Thanks! Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL I so love the elehant line hehe

    Happy TT

    Aline

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous8:55 AM

    Happy Birthday, Gal.....hope you have a wonderful day.

    Oh, BYW, I left the "anonymous" comment. Guess I chose the wrong identity! Snowbird

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Love this one:

    Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read anyway.

    I used to have a mouse pad with that quote on it. I think it came free from the large on-line bookseller who shall not be named when they first started!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Love this one:

    Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read anyway.

    I used to have a mouse pad with that quote on it. I think it came free from the large on-line bookseller who shall not be named when they first started!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love those!! LOL! Thanks for the grin this Thanksgiving morning!

    Leslie
    www.lesliedicken.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. HOoray! my favourite one is the one about the dog, it's written in my journal at home.

    happy TT.

    Mine's Up

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Gal, these were great! I used to enjoy watching "You Bet Your Life" (in re-runs, of course). I loved how he could turn something someone said around so fast they didn't know what hit them. He was also a master at just gliding under the censors noses.

    Thanks for the smile today! Happy Birthday! Happy Thanksgiving! And Happy TT! Oh, heck... just have yourself a super Happy Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. #7 was our class motto in Basic. A fun reminder.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Birthday, and Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous5:10 PM

    Happy Birthday. I always thought you were a bit of a turkey. ;)

    I love the quotes. Can't pick a favorite. I love a sharp wit and a dirty mind, always.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous9:38 PM

    I love Groucho. His stuff never, never gets old. I think my favorite is number 11...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Groucho's sense of humor was truly unique. I still like most of the television pioneers of comedy like Grouch, Red Skelton, and Jackie Gleason.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Excellent list of Groucho quotes. I was hoping that 4 and 7 would be included... you didn't disappoint me. When reading some of the quotes, I was picturing the look of bewilderment on Margaret Dumont's face.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous8:09 PM

    Well, I screwed that one up - of course it was "Say the secret word and collect $100." What was I thinking! Snowbird

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha Ha...I cant stop laughing...it was too good :D

    Happy TT!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm a Chico fan myself! And - there ain't no sanity clause!

    (My favorite one)

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.