Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #82 -- Spotlight on a Comedy Legend


THIRTEEN QUOTES FROM
THE ONE, THE ONLY,
GROUCHO


Groucho Marx died the same week in August, 1977, as Elvis Presley. Since Grouch was 87 years old and had been suffering from pneumonia, his death was hardly a surprise and barely newsworthy compared to the King’s sudden and shocking demise.

Because his passing was passed over, I’m giving him special attention in my blog. It’s the least I can do, since his work continues to bring me joy. I smile just thinking of him. Here is a quick overview of one of the most influential careers in Hollywood …

• 26 films, 15 with his brothers
• 11 years as host of You Bet Your Life
• Won an Emmy and received an honorary Oscar (on behalf of his brothers, too)
• Author of (at least) four books
• Though not known as a singer, he performed such numbers as “Whatever It Is, I’m Against It” and my favorite, “Lydia, the Tattooed Lady.” (“She had eyes that men adore so, and her torso, even more so!”)

And now, here’s the good part. My thirteen favorite quotes from a career that produced thousands:

1. If you want to see a comic strip, watch me take a shower.

2. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

3. Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read anyway.

4. Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. And how he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.

5. Don’t gulp that poison! It’s $4 a bottle!

6. Any man who can see through women is missing a lot.

7. I don’t want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.

8. I have here an accident policy that will absolutely protect you no matter what happens. If you lose a leg, we'll help you look for it.

9. I intend to live forever or die trying.

10. I’ve known and respected your husband for many years – and if you’re good enough for him, you’re good enough for me!

11. Here’s to our wives and our girlfriends … May they never meet!

12. I could dance with you until the cows came home. On second thought, I’d rather dance with the cows until you came home.

13. I wish you’d keep my hands to yourself.


Include your link in the comments and I'll add you here:
1) Sandy Carlson wonders how we should consider these lovely days
2) Anthony North takes on the power of prayer
3) Help Claudia finish her story
4) Gina's Public Diary is a TT devoted to the Olympics
5) Nicholas does a book TT, as only Nicholas can do6) Malcolm remembers 13 forgotten TV shows
7) Yasmin takes us to the beach
8) Nicole Austin shares what she knows about hurricanes
9) Julia takes on the classics
10) B Boys Mom shares what she (and Andy Rooney) have learned
11) Meju came up with 13 real towns with real funny names
12) Joy informs us about grapes from California
13) Lori looks to the future
14) Journeywoman takes a realistic look at what comes after "happily ever after"
15) SJR revisits Dodge City
16) Bernie has 13 problems with the web
17) Yummy shares the secret to receiving better customer service
18) Alice's is a random TT
19) Marcia celebrates a beautiful milestone
20) Lisa offers up more listening options
21)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



28 comments:

  1. Some great quotes there. He was a very funny man. And even funnier when said with his magical timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:42 PM

    hee hee. I wish you'd keep my hands to yourself... hee hee.

    Great TT - of course!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:55 PM

    So cute! I love numbers 2 and 13.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:48 PM

    To Margaret Dumont, when the restaurant bill arrived: Thirty dollars? If I were you I'd refuse to pay it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool tribute to one of my favorite comics. My favorite Groucho song is "Just Wait 'Til I Get Through With It" from "Duck Soup". Although I knew that Groucho died in 1977, I forgot that it was the same week as Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:00 PM

    happy tt and number 4 made me laugh...hehe.
    http://www.apooobooks.com/2008/08/20/hot-fun-summertimehanging-beach/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:40 PM

    Those are great. He was an amazing man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Cool list! Love #6 and #9 and laughed about all of them.
    Happy TT and greets Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very funny! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. His quotes are so funny due to his skill at delivery.....I hope I can teach my kids to appreciate him and his timeless humor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't realize he died the same week as Elvis.
    You found some really good ones. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL..great list. Awwwwwww,the good ole'days:) Happy TT my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:20 PM

    I love 3, 4, and 6. heck...all of them.

    Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Marx Brothers! Just remember, there ain't no sanity clause!

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2008/8/20/3847981.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. That list of Grouch quotes is hysterical. Number one ROCKS!

    My TT is up here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops, I meant Groucho ..... a tad tired I might add. Sorry for the typo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:03 PM

    I can't help but smile every time I read #2 anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:19 AM

    I love the quotes, too good.

    Here's some trivia for you:
    - When Elvis was born he had a twin brother who died at birth and was buried in the Priceville Cemetery. My family name is Price.
    - I was born on Elvis's birthday
    - Elvis died on my Dad's birthday.

    Alice at I Was Born2Cree8
    Or My 24th Thursday 13

    ReplyDelete
  19. # 7 was one he said alot--taken separately I think they are funnier his delivery was like bombardment at times i think we missed half of the good stuffghttp://joyismygoal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. He definitely had a *way* with words! lol Its a shame that when people like him die a timely death they are not as celebrated as those who die shocking deaths.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a very nice cheerful post! Thanks gives me smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous11:33 AM

    Great list, #7 is one of my all time favorite quotes. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love #7. We used it as our motto in my basic class in the Army.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is great. #3 is my favorite as well, but they are all too funny. Love that humor. Thanks for the grin!

    ReplyDelete
  25. these were great! I remember woody allen quoting #7 in Annie Hall ( I can't remember where I left my insurance card, But THAT from so long ago, I remember!??

    ReplyDelete
  26. ooh forgot my link
    Http://luluspetals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the Pink Flamingo comment. You have given me a wonderful idea for another TT (and we all need ideas)!

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.