Friday, February 06, 2009

Desire Under the Elms

I've been so preoccupied by my modern office drama that I neglected to post about my exposure to a classic American tragedy on Wednesday night. This Goodman production stars Brian Dennehy, who has developed quite a following for his portrayals of O'Neill heroes. (Though "hero" is an odd way to describe Ephraim.) But it was Carla Gugino who really rocked. Bold, carnal and fueled by desperation, her Abby and his Ephraim collide like two forces of nature. Young Eben can't help but be destroyed by the heat they generate.

God I love having theater like this available to me, just a half hour from my home!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds amazing. I wish I was closer to some theater. Even bad theater.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.