Tuesday, August 11, 2026

WWW.WEDNESDAY

 

WWW. WEDNESDAY asks three questions to prompt you to speak bookishly. To participate, and to see how other book lovers responded, click here

PS I no longer participate in WWW.WEDNESDAY via that link because her blog won't accept Blogger comments. I mention this only to save you the frustration I experienced trying to link up.

1. What are you currently reading? Touched by the Sun by Carly Simon. Carly Simon was galpals with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis for the last decade of Jackie's life. This is the story of that relationship, and the ongoing impact it had on Carly's life.

 

This is a reread for me. I reached for it when I heard Carly is ill. I grew up on her, and of course on Jackie. These are two very complicated, high-profile women who grew up with wealth and achieved fame (though through very different routes). Yet there is universality in this memoir – they both experienced heartbreak, they both loved their children, they both felt at times inadequate. 

 

2. What did you recently finish reading?  Dear Debbie by Freida McFadden. Suburban housewife Debbie Mullen is having a really bad day. Her oldest daughter is all hormones and bad attitude and just can't stay away from the class bad boy. Her younger daughter is having trouble on the soccer team but refuses to talk to Debbie about it. Her husband is under appreciated and underpaid at work and they need more money – for the mortgage, for home improvement, for the girls' college – but he's reluctant to ask for it. Her neighbor works from home and plays his music too damn loud all damn day. The bitches in her book club are condescending. It's too much. She's starting to hear a hum in her head. 

 

She's going to have to start doing something about everything that bothers her. 

 

This is a twisted little thriller. There are plot holes, but they are really beside the point. It's the zigs and zags that will propel you from chapter to chapter. This book is about boredom and isolation and rage and revenge. 

3. What will you read next? I don't know.

 

  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.