Saturday, May 07, 2022

Trying to keep parallel lines parallel

I admit I'm having trouble keeping my plots straight. First I began a thriller: The Marriage Lie. It's about a woman who learns distressing things about the man she was shared her life with and was sure she loved ... after his death. It's my second book by Kimberly Belle, and it's wonderfully suspenseful. 

Then I started bingeing on The Flight Attendant. In Season One, Kaley Cuoco is a flight attendant who parties a bit too hearty during a layover in Bangkok and can't recall how she ended up in bed with a dead guy. She unwisely decides that the only way to clear her name is to solve the murder herself. 

The book and movie were very different in tone, but both involved mysterious deaths from anything but natural causes, and both have plenty of intrigue and secrets. And I found myself confusing elements of the two stories.

How do you deal with this? Do you try to alternate genres so this can't happen? What's your secret?

Check out other Sunday Salon participants here.

4 comments:

  1. It's why I can't read more than one book at a time. However, I will listen to audio books, occasionally. Most of the time I'm fine, but I did mix the plots up of a couple of books one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different genres/story lines for sure when trying to read more than one book at a time. Usually I am reading a non-fiction, a fiction, and listening to one on audio book, but they have to be different in order for me not to get them confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't explain why, but despite occasionally reading ten or more books at once, I never confuse the plots of the various stories. But all the books are different genres, so perhaps that makes a difference.

    Both The Marriage Lie and The Flight Attendant sound compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very conscious of making sure that I am reading different genres otherwise I too would be confused.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.