Saturday, May 07, 2022

Saturday 9

 Saturday 9: Your Mother Should Know (1967)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's featured artists, The Beatles, invite us to get up and dance to a song that was a hit before your mother was born. Do you enjoy the oldies? How old must a song be before you consider it "old?" I'm not a good one to ask because my sense of time is getting more warped. For example, when I hear Coldplay's "Viva La Vida," I can remember being happy when it came on at the health club and enjoying working out to it. I'd swear that was six years ago. It was 2008. That means a song I think of as contemporary is really 14 years old!

2) Paul McCartney knew bandmate John Lennon's mom, Julia, and credits her with introducing him to the ukulele. Do you recall any of your childhood friends' mothers with fondness? I recall Judy's mom with great fondness. I spent some of the darkest days of my unhappy teen years at Judy's. Her mom was always welcoming, always understanding. I especially struggled when my icky grandmother died. It was confusing and infuriating to be expected by my own family to continuously express a grief I didn't feel. Her mom understood. She told me her sewing room was mine whenever I wanted it. Just come on over. Close the door if I wanted peace and quiet with my thoughts. She said she'd always knock first (in her own home!) and bring me a meal from time to time. I only recall taking her up on it once, but it was an enormously sensitive gesture. She is in my prayers on Mother's Day.
 
3) Paul's own mother, Mary, tried to instill in her son a sense of pride in his appearance and saw to it he always left the house in a clean, ironed shirt. Paul says that, to this day, when he smells fresh laundry, he thinks of his mum. Is there a scent or sound that reminds you of someone you love who is no longer with us? This song reminds me of my favorite uncle. I recall how he'd turn up the car radio as soon as he heard those first chords, and how the album cover always looked out from the front of his LP rack. He was not a country music guy -- not at all! -- and this was his only Glen Campbell album. Yet this song meant a lot to him. Was it the sound? Did it remind him of some girl? He's been gone more than a decade and I'm often surprised by how much I still miss him. I wish I'd asked about this song. That's the lesson here: ask the people you love about their lives when you still can!
 
 
 

4) George Harrison was the only member of the band to have any formal musical training. His mother, Louise, supported her son's musical ambitions and made sure he got guitar lessons. Did you take music classes as a child? Nope.

5) Ringo Starr was a sickly and often hospitalized little boy. His mother, Elsie, took a job as a barmaid so she could work at night, leaving her days free during visiting hours. When were you most recently in a hospital? Were you an admitted patient, there for an outpatient procedure, or visiting someone? My mammogram last summer.

6) Mother Winters always gave our own Crazy Sam peppermint tea to calm her stomach. Do you have any tried-and-true home remedies to share? Not for me, but for my cats. Canned pumpkin is good for kitty constipation. It has to PURE, no added sugar or cinnamon or anything like that. Check with your vet before you add it to your cat's diet. I am happy to report it's made Connie's life happier.
 
In her happy place, a box with crinkly paper

7) Sam's mother always tips 15% in restaurants. Sam has worked in food service and is more judgmental, tipping between 10% and 25%, depending on the quality of the service. What's your tipping policy? In restaurants, I tip 15% for average service, more for better service. I also always tip $2 or $3 every time I take a rideshare or have groceries delivered. I read that more than half of Uber riders never tip! My nephew worked for Instacart over Christmas break from college and reported that wealthy people seldom tipped. Shame on them!
 
8) Sam's mother still gets the Sunday paper because of the sales fliers. She makes separate lists for each store, picking up grocery and household items where she knows they are on sale. Sam thinks her mother's strategy is a waste of time and gas and prefers one-stop shopping (even better, online one-stop shopping). Are you more like mother or daughter? I'll make a special trip to CVS if I received one of those 30% off coupons in the mail, but other than that, I shop where I shop.

9) Sam is celebrating Mother's Day with her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds? I prefer almonds, thank you.





7 comments:

  1. I am not good with time these days, either. The days seem to fly by and I am always surprised when I hear how long ago something came out or happened. Aw...Connie looks happy in her box. I wish my Jasper liked boxes or something. His happy place is draped across my chest with his head tucked under my chin. He's there now. It does make typing hard. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that the canned pumpkin helped, and Connie is feeling better. I loved Glen Campbell and that album was one of the first albums that I owned as a teen. Good memories. Yes, I know about wishing you could talk to and ask questions of those who have gone one. I wish I could sit down and ask my parents some questions and also get their advice, even today. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin is magic. Maddie's anti-seizure meds make her even more ravenous than she is normally, and we make frozen pumpkin treats to take the edge off. I buy freeze-dried beef lung treats, take of few of them and smash them up in a ziplock with a meat mallet, and add to three cans of pumpkin. I fill 12 silicone muffin cups with them, and freeze. She loves them, and it keeps her tummy full for quite a while for a miniscule amount of calories. Glad to see it helped Connie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have a good thought for your friend's mom. She sounds pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not count my mammogram, I do those every summer, so last summer. I have another one coming up in a couple of months. Your friend's mom sounds amazing! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. #7--I am an over-tipper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't count my mammogram, which I just had Thursday! But it wasn't at the hospital. I think many of Glenn Campbell's songs are lovely. My favorite is Witchita Lineman but Gentle on My Mind is a beautiful tune.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.