Sunday, May 29, 2022

Sometimes I do good

One of her first photos here
When I adopted Constance MacKenzie 8 years ago, she was not in good shape. Her gums were bloody, her breath was terrible and her eyes were so light sensitive she had trouble keeping them open. She had been living with a well-meaning hoarder who loved cats but couldn't give them adequate care. 

It took us a while, but she's healthy now. First we went though medication. Then we added Lysine to each of her meals. She's on a special diet and now gets regular doses of pumpkin to help with constipation. 

Bright eyes!
While I can take credit for staying the course in terms of her care, Connie brought her lovely spirit with her. In 8 years, I have never seen her display temper.* She is affectionate with me but, even better, she is a cat's cat. She slept curled up beside my big old tub of guts, Joey. She engaged Reynaldo in daily play. These days, she grooms Roy Hobbs and makes sure his white stays white.

She has enriched my life enormously and I'm proud I have been able to give her the care she deserves. Adopt, don't shop. And if there's a special needs dog or cat at the shelter that touches your heart, don't shy away. You can do it.

*Although she does mightily resist nail clipping, it's with squirming, never kicking or biting or hissing.

4 comments:

  1. I regret that my allergies and asthma keep me from having a dog. My husband is gone so much that I think a dog would be helpful. I'm glad there are people like you who can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had shelter dogs and cats and loved them as much as any I purchased. I've considered two of my dogs "rescues" though they didn't come from a shelter. They found me at garage sales of all places and both needed a home urgently. My current dog, Daisy, is one of them. The best cat we ever had was from the shelter. Cowboy was a dream of a cat...big, friendly, and as mellow as they come. I only have Jasper because I had long wanted a Maine Coon, but didn't want to pay the high price for one. When our niece offered Jasper at a ridiculously low price, I jumped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks like a different cat in those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! She is the picture of health now. Our cat is a rescue, also. We have spoiled him rotten.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.