Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Thursday Thirteen #254

 

 

Thirteen popular podcasts. I first discovered podcasts during an Amtrak ride in 2018. I've listened intermittently since then. OK, I admit it: I'm a binger. I devour episode after episode until I'm satiated.

Here are 8 of the most popular, plus 5 I enjoy.

1. Crime Junkie. This is the most popular podcast of the most popular genre, true crime. It's been around since 2017 and has nearly 6 million listeners per episode.

2. Call Her Daddy. Alex Cooper talks about sex and relationships from a feminist pov. This sounds like it might be the inspiration for Carrie's podcast in And Just Like That. 3 million listeners per episode.

3. My Favorite Murder. Back to true crime. Two very wholesome-looking girls, Karen and Georgia, dissect heinous crimes. 2.9 million listeners per episode.

4. The Daily. The New York Times' podcast. "This is how news should sound." 1.8 million listeners per episode.

5. Office Ladies. Angela Kinsey and Jenna Fischer, of the actresses from The Office, take a deep dive into each episode of the show. 1.5 million listeners per episode.

6. Pod Save America. Four men who worked in the Obama White House put the band back together for "a political podcast for people who aren't ready to give up or go insane." 1.4 million listeners per episode.

7. Stuff You Should Know. Josh and Chuck take on a single topic -- anything from nose breathing to The Stonewall Uprising -- and explain it. 1.2 million listeners per episode.

8. Morbid: A True Crime Podcast. Well, we certainly know what this will be about! Fans of this show are hooked at the mix of horror and comedy. 1.2 million listeners per episode.

9. The West Wing Weekly. I used to love this! Josh Malina, who played Will on The West Wing, and Hrishikesh Hirway, a composer and super fan, take one of my favorite shows apart episode by episode.

10. Zack to the Future. I recently admitted I'm a fan of the original Saved by the Bell. I have no idea why. But this podcast comforts me because I'm not alone. It's another episode-by-episode deep dive, with series star and podcast co-host Mark-Paul Gosselaar amusing me by admitting he doesn't have any idea why the show remains popular, either.

11. The History Chicks. Two good girlfriends, Beckett and Susan, discover herstory together, giving up high level overviews of everyone from Abigail Adams to Lizzie Bordon to The Statue of Liberty. It's been a great way to decide who you'd like to learn more about.

12. Freakonomics. I love this because you never know what you'll find here. From the reasons behind poverty in the world's richest country to Lance Armstrong's use of steroids, it's here. (Sounds like the original, but less popular, version of Stuff You Should Know, doesn't it?)

13. The Plot Thickens. TCM and Ben Mankiewicz take a serious, journalistic look at Hollywood. The latest series was devoted to Lucille Ball, and it was a wonderful companion to the Amazon Prime movie, Being the Ricardos.

Do you have any podcasts to add to this list?

Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.



4 comments:

  1. I am also a pretty big podcast fan. I have listened to Crime Junkie, but not lately. Same for The Daily. All of these podcasts sound pretty good. I will have to check some of these out. I usually listen to podcasts during my drive to work and while I clean house. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit lost at finding podcasts and there are so many. I like Fresh Air and Radio Lab though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OLD PERSON ALERT: I thought one of the podcasts said "Alice Cooper gives advice from a feminist perspective" and I thought "what in the hell does Alice Cooper know about being a feminist?" - at that puzzling thought, I went back to re-read and saw it said ALEX not Alice. What would a 74 year old man (albeit one with an interesting life!) have to say about being a feminist.

    Geez. I need to take a nap or get a life or something.

    I used to love PodSave and find are more centrist and old school corporate dem than I am so I moved to something different. It's my belief that dark money from corporations and lobbyists are the biggest contributing factors in the tearing down of our democracy. IMO, nothing will change unless the money is removed from those who wish to, and to a large degree do, influence the government in their favor. Since Citizens United in 2010, it's only accelerated.

    My podcast of choice (and the only political one I listen to) is The Muckrake Podcast with my political boyfriend Jared Yates Sexton and Nick Hauselman. (https://www.themuckrake.com/the-muckrake-podcast)

    I would listen to Gaslit Nation more if it didn't depress me so with its truthiness. I do have to watch for cynical ditches and too much commentary about 'stuff is really bad" causes me to go headlong into helplessness. They do offer ways to act but once I'm in a ditch, it's hard enough to climb out.

    I know that you're more a balanced centrist leaning toward peace, justice, and love so I want to acknowledge that I am in no way casting aspersions on your beliefs, Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess that I don’t listen to podcasts, but if I were to start I’d check out numbers 4, 5, 10, and 11. Probably binge those I like. I’m that kind of person, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.