Sunday, November 14, 2021

Compassion Challenge -- Day 13

I'm encouraged to participate in this November challenge with my church congregation.

Inspiring Compassion: The 30 Day Compassion Challenge. 30 days to explore the topic of compassion: Mindfulness, Compassion for Friends & Family, Self-Compassion, Compassion for All, Compassion for Our Planet.

Saturday, I used Facebook for good.

First, I had lunch with Nancy and her husband. It was the first time I'd seen them since July! We had a lot to catch up and were blabbing when Nancy noticed someone outside of the window. A woman had taken a fall getting into her car, and her family was slow to help her onto feet. Nancy was up like a shot and within moments was out there, hands on her knees, eyes locked onto the woman's. With her first aid training, she ascertained that the biggest problem wasn't her leg but the bump to her head. Nancy recommended they call paramedics and let the professionals decide next steps. It was a bravura performance! (Plus, as he watched through the glass, her husband told me, admiringly, "Nancy has the best heart!" I melted.)

When I got home, I went on Facebook to thank Nancy for meeting me for lunch, and to share her heroics. Why not? The lady did a good thing. Why not let our mutual social media friends in on it? Nancy should know how special she was this afternoon.

In between loads of laundry, I picked up my mail and there -- a week early -- was my gift from my Cousin Rose. She never forgets! I know she's on the road (I believe she's visiting her brother in Michigan) but she checks Facebook on her phone. I thought about what I wrote in Saturday 9 about my friend Mindy -- she's not always sensitive to follow ups and that can feel crappy. So I used Facebook to let Rose that the gift arrived, safe and sound.

Mindfulness. I put myself in other people's shoes again. I hope I'll continue to do this after the month, and this challenge, are over.

 

2 comments:

  1. Nancy sounds like quite the hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying this challenge. It seems a good fit for you and you're taking it to heart.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.