Sunday, August 08, 2021

Sunday Stealing

DURWARD DISCUSSIONS

1.  What is the nearest book to you?  Your Kindle does not count. Jacqueline by Ron Galella. It's a coffee table book filled with the black-and-white paparazzi photos Galella took of JBKO between 1968 and 1972. I have mixed feelings about it. The photos are fascinating, capturing her as she went about her everyday life on two islands: Skorpios and Manhattan. To get these shots, he hounded her, exacerbated her feelings of PTSD, and drove her to take him to court. The judge ruled that, while she was undoubtedly a public figure, she had a right to privacy and Galella couldn't come within 50 feet of her anymore. At the time, Jackie was pilloried in the press for suing Galella, but I wonder what would have happened if Princess Diana had stood up for herself the way Jackie did. Maybe her life wouldn't have ended the way it did in that Paris tunnel.

2.  When was the last time you took a "me" vacation? The TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood, spring of 2019. I had a glorious time, getting my geek on among other geeks. Hopefully I'll be able to do it again in 2022.

3.  How many telephone numbers do you have? Three: home, work and cell.

4.  If you could fix one thing in the public school system, what is the one thing you would do immediately? I would do whatever is possible to keep children in school but still safe from Covid. I suppose that means mandatory vaccinations for school staff.

5.  What's your favorite Olympic event? I don't watch the Olympics.

6.  Do you watch the Olympics? See above.

7.  Who is your favorite sports team player?

Today Anthony Rizzo turns 32. HBD, Captain!

 

8.  If you could travel in a spaceship to any planet, which planet would you like to visit and why? I wouldn't. Too scary.

9.  When was the last time you sat in a church? February 2020. My church has moved services online.

10.  Are there any aspects of blogging that annoy you? Yes. But I don't feel like being negative just now, so I'll keep them to myself.

11. Have you ever gone to a party and snooped in the medicine cabinet? I did when I was a little girl. I discovered that my great aunt used ExLax.

12. Do you watch reality TV? I have.

13.  How many people can you call who have known you since you were in school? Two.

14. Who, when, and where was your first kiss? David. Summertime. Across from the hamburger stand. He was waiting for his friends, and I was bringing home a carryout order for my mom.

15. You just got thrown out of your country.  Where do you want to become a citizen? Canada. Maybe England. I don't think I could handle a new language.



10 comments:

  1. Mandatory vaccinations for all would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't think about the new language thing. That's a bummer. I don't believe in hounding people to get a story or a photo. There were certain stories I refused to write. "Your house has just burned down, how do you feel?" I wouldn't write those kinds of stories. And I wouldn't chase someone around to get a picture. I have too much respect for people to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on vaccinations. I honestly do not understand the anti-vaxxers at all. We haven't watch the Olympics much either. Baseball is the only sport I have ever had much interest in. Go Cards. Loved your last comment on my blog. I finished and mailed the last of my postcards about the California recall yesterday. I may sign up for some more. Hope you have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #10. Good call - I should be less negative too.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Rizzo! He is such a neat guy.
    I am more concerned about the kids at school this year than I was last year because of the delta variant. I pray that I am wrong. Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've already commented, but then I ran across this and thought "I bet Gal would enjoy that" So here you go -- It's a free archive of classic movie posters kept at The University of Texas, Austin. They are downloadable. Enjoy! https://lifehacker.com/use-this-site-to-browse-and-download-thousands-of-histo-1847440419

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canada? Go somewhere warm. They speak English on the islands...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your answer to #8.
    OH: TCM, how fascinating, I love these movies and you can tell me
    all about it when you get back home next year.
    Have a happy Sunday.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forget Canada is a foreign country since (before Covid) we crossed the border at will and have relatives there, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can get behind the Yankees! And the movie fest... I would have LOVED that!
    http://inmywords.kimdeister.com/2021/08/08/sunday-stealing-this-and-that/

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.